Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers!
Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #61992] Fri, 05 March 2010 11:59 Go to next message
krikor is currently offline  krikor
Baron
Can't wait to try them out. I've been lurking on this forum for a long time, but never got around to giving them a whirl. But a pair just came up for sale locally and I jumped on them. This will be a very different animal for me given that I've been using Magnepans for more than decade.
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #61995 is a reply to message #61992] Fri, 05 March 2010 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's great! What woofers are used? Tweeters? What crossover?

Depending on the installed options, you might want to upgrade some components. At the very least, make sure the crossover is updated to the latest version.

Congratulations on your find and welcome here on the forum!

Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #61996 is a reply to message #61995] Fri, 05 March 2010 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Have not picked them up just yet. According to the seller, they are factory built with Eminence drivers. Based on pictures they seem to be in very good condition. Remains to be seen exactly which drivers (unless there haven't been any changes to those) and which crossover. Hope to get them tonight or tomorrow.
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62005 is a reply to message #61996] Sun, 07 March 2010 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Hi krikor,
I think I saw these on eBay. If correct, they did look very nice. After you listen to them a few days, I would be curious to hear you thoughts on the sound.
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62013 is a reply to message #62005] Mon, 08 March 2010 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
tom-m wrote on Sun, 07 March 2010 20:45
Hi krikor,
I think I saw these on eBay. If correct, they did look very nice. After you listen to them a few days, I would be curious to hear you thoughts on the sound.

Yep... found them on eBay. I always keep an eye out for local listings as I don't trust shippers for most items, and these are way too big/heavy to ship economically. Picked them up last night and put them in my main room replacing the Magnepan 1.6s (Squeezebox>Cary 306/200>PS Audio GCC-100 integrated). They are an older pair and the cabinets are not perfect, but very presentable as long as you don't look too close.

index.php?t=getfile&id=153&private=0

Got to say that right off the bat I was a bit perplexed by their sound. Huge, open, spacious, but the bass was lacking and vocals had a strange "in-your-head" feel... kind of like headphones or if you cup your ears towards the speakers... a sound I usually associate with a phase problem. Vocals especially seemed completely out of place in the soundstage and much too forward. To be honest, I was quite disappointed given the following and reputation of Pi Speakers. How could a speaker so highly lauded seem so out of whack to my ears? Sad

I thought it might just be the way the xover is designed, or a characteristic of horns which I have really no experience with, being a planar and open baffle fan. Perhaps this is that "honky horniness" I've heard described regarding other horn speakers. I also thought it might be interactions with the room, so I started moving the speakers around, trying different positions, extreme toe-in, no toe-in, and running through again and again (much to the chagrin of my wife, dog and cats) the various reference recordings I use to dial in my system.

Overall I was liking the tone, openness and dynamics (esp. vs. Magnepans!) of these speakers, and I was able to address the issues a bit through placement. But this "phasing" on vocals and a lack of bass extension continued to bother me and I knew I would not be able to live with these conditions. I also noticed that I could reduce the effects by moving to one side of the sweet spot (closer to one speaker than the other). Plus, on recordings that I know make use of out-of-phase L/R balance to add ambience at the expense of image specificity (in particular the California Guitar Trio), these suddenly seemed to be flatter in soundstage depth albeit with clearer placement of the musicians.

I took a break for dinner and watch some of the pre-Oscar coverage with my wife, but couldn't get it out of my head that something was amiss with these speakers. Buyer's remorse was setting in big time as I watched the inane fashion commentary from the red carpet Mad. I got up, grabbed a screwdriver and removed the bass drivers (Eminence Deltas). Sure enough, one of the woofers was wired out of phase! I checked all the connections between the xover, binding posts and tweeters, put them back together and fired them up again.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up BINGO! Singers snapped into focus, properly positioned in the soundstage, and the bass improved.

Unfortunately it was almost midnight at this point. I can't wait to spend some more time listening this week to get a real handle on what Pi Speakers are all about... first impressions with the woofers in-phase are very positive.

Being a factory-built pair, I wonder if that woofer has always been out-of-phase and the original owner never noticed or never cared. The guy I bought them from only used them briefly in essentially a nearfield position in a very small room at low volumes, so did not recognize this issue. I think he mentioned that the original owner had tried to sell them once, but were returned because that buyer couldn't stand the sound... this would explain it!

WAYNE... any chance I could get a copy of the original xover schematic as well as your current xover design? I want to make sure I've got everything right and may pursue an upgrade after I listen a bit more. Still need to pull out the tweeters and see which ones they are (Eminence PSD2002 I assume), and perhaps clean the tweeter screens up... they looked quite dirty and partially blocked.

Thanks.
  • Attachment: 3PI.jpg
    (Size: 74.52KB, Downloaded 5551 times)
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62015 is a reply to message #62013] Mon, 08 March 2010 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send plans, at least for the current version. I don't have the old plans handy, but you'll want to update the crossovers anyway.

Glad you found the mis-connected woofer. I'm surprised I never heard about that from the original owner. I don't know if they were kits that were assembled wrong or not, but whatever the case, those speakers should sound extremely coherent, not only on-axis but over a wide arc of positions, pretty much throughout the room. That's one of the main things they excel at.

Bass isn't extremely extended, none of them are tuned to be subs, they're tuned to be midwoofers. Since you need the woofer to be used as a midrange, you don't really want it pumping sound at 20Hz. I suggest adding subs, because then you gain extension and smooth room modes at the same time.

Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62016 is a reply to message #62015] Mon, 08 March 2010 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 08 March 2010 13:08

I suggest adding subs, because then you gain extension and smooth room modes at the same time.

Yes, I have a couple of ACI Force subs that I will be using, just don't have them setup for the 3Pi speakers yet. I wasn't expecting sub-woofer like extension, but until the woofer was wired properly I think it was cancelling some of the output with the other speaker. Bass definitely improved after I got them working correct.

Man, I'd like to be home listening to them right now rather than at work!

Do have plans available for you 3pi subwoofer as well?

thanks.
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62019 is a reply to message #62016] Mon, 08 March 2010 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You betcha. I'll send plans for the three π subs along with plans for the three π mains.

You might also be interested in the threads contained in the link below. They describe more about my loudspeaker design philosophy and suggested setup. I hope this collection of posts is helpful to you.
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62021 is a reply to message #62019] Tue, 09 March 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 08 March 2010 16:07

You might also be interested in the threads contained in the link below. They describe more about my loudspeaker design philosophy and suggested setup. I hope this collection of posts is helpful to you.

Wayne - thanks for plans and links... though some of those discussions definitely make my hair curl as I try to follow along!

One more question. What is the impedance of the 3pi? Do you have a graph? I don't think I've seen that listed for any of the pi speakers.

Thanks again.

BTW - I think I'll be giving the new xover design a try. Initial listening to the 3pi has been so positive that I may pursue a long-term relationship. Replace my Maggies? That remains to be seen, and I need to make some grill covers before my wife will let them stay. Exposed drivers don't mesh with her tastes. Smile
Re: Just scored a pair of 3pi speakers! [message #62022 is a reply to message #62021] Tue, 09 March 2010 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I do have an impedance chart, unfortunately, for some reason I never got around to uploading it. It's nice and smooth though, like my other models, very tube friendly. When I get back to Tulsa, I'll upload the chart from my measurement system.

By the way, one of the links contained in my last post is called "Crossover Optimization for DI-matched two-way loudspeakers." That thread is a general purpose explanation of design principles, but it uses the three π loudspeaker as the example. There's a video showing some measurements I made in the first post of that thread too.

Previous Topic: 8 pi plans
Next Topic: 8 Pi horn and woofer?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 05:32:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout