Home » Audio » Measurement » On axis measurements in nearfield listening (I don't experience this as an issue... maybe you do??)
Re: On axis measurements in nearfield listening [message #61025 is a reply to message #60974] Fri, 25 September 2009 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jp is currently offline  jp
Chancellor
To all the experts on this forum :
""Testing is very important to be able to get the best of a speaker or array design"" .As a DIY without too much technical knowlege I would be very pleased if I ( and probably all the DIY's on this forum )could be easily guided on how and where we could find help for beginners for testing and what are the most important tests one should concentrate on ? Or it would be even better if we could be guided on this same forum .
JP
Re: On axis measurements in nearfield listening [message #61026 is a reply to message #61025] Fri, 25 September 2009 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
selahaudio is currently offline  selahaudio
Baron
jp wrote on Fri, 25 September 2009 15:50
To all the experts on this forum :
""Testing is very important to be able to get the best of a speaker or array design"" .As a DIY without too much technical knowledge I would be very pleased if I ( and probably all the DIY's on this forum )could be easily guided on how and where we could find help for beginners for testing and what are the most important tests one should concentrate on ? Or it would be even better if we could be guided on this same forum .
JP

Unfortunately there's not much information for beginners but you might start here http://www.madisound.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=404_3

Dickason's book is the first one to read followed by D' Appolito's "Testing Loudspeakers". I would also frequent some of DIY sites and ask questions or follow threads about equipment and software. One caveat - testing an array is different than a point source. Most builders will have little or no experience with arrays so they won't be able to help you very much. There are a few that will give opinions based on theory but not experience. Some of the theory applies but is no substitute for measuring the results yourself.
Re: On axis measurements in nearfield listening [message #61029 is a reply to message #61026] Fri, 25 September 2009 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
But Rick,

YOU have the experience that no one else has. And you're right. I've done extensive internet research on how to measure line arrays and have come up almost completely empty. I have a minimal testing system (Apex mic, stand, Fuzzmeasure for my Powerbook).

How about if YOU share a few tidbits about the way you measrue your systems?

Marlboro
Measurement Information [message #61031 is a reply to message #61029] Fri, 25 September 2009 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do some searches here. You'll find lots of good information on everything from systems and equipment available to technical discussions and principles and processes, advantages and disadvantages to different methods and stimulus signal types, etc. There are also online tutorials and experts frequently check there for posts with questions. Ask anything you want and it'll get answered.

By the way, the inventor of the Smith & Larson measurement systems is an array enthusiast and he is one of the experts that regularly checks in here.

Re: Measurement Information [message #61034 is a reply to message #61031] Sat, 26 September 2009 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I support Marlboro with his request ! Rick, Wayne , Jim, Danny , just hints that will help us as a start with array testing because as you mentioned Rick it is very rare to find info on that subject .
I also have TRUE RTA and a Bahringer ECM 8000 mic .
I will also go to Wayne's suggested forum but I'm sure all of us DIY's appreciate your guidelines , and be sure not to be afraid we wont be your competitors not even in 2 decades time ,ha ha ha .In the case some of you will help be sure you will attract more DIY and that can only be beneficial to all of you at the end of the road .You scratch my back I'll become your client , Hahahaha again .
JP
Re: Measurement Information [message #61061 is a reply to message #61034] Mon, 28 September 2009 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
jp wrote on Sat, 26 September 2009 02:29
I support Marlboro with his request ! Rick, Wayne , Jim, Danny , just hints that will help us as a start with array testing because as you mentioned Rick it is very rare to find info on that subject .
I will also go to Wayne's suggested forum but I'm sure all of us DIY's appreciate your guidelines , and be sure not to be afraid we wont be your competitors not even in 2 decades time ,ha ha ha .In the case some of you will help be sure you will attract more DIY and that can only be beneficial to all of you at the end of the road .You scratch my back I'll become your client , Hahahaha again .
JP

Start with the books I suggested. You need a good foundation in order to be able to understand the more advanced concepts. There's also no substitution for doing your own investigation - trial and error is part of learning the trade. I basically taught myself because I had the same limited resources that you do.
Re: Measurement Information [message #61069 is a reply to message #61061] Mon, 28 September 2009 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So I guess this means that you aren't planning on sharing any of the tidbits that you've learned along the way on line arrays, huh, Rick?
Re: Measurement Information [message #61071 is a reply to message #61069] Mon, 28 September 2009 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Like I said, do some searches here 'cause there's a ton of stuff there for everyone from novice to expert. You can find general tips, specific advice and even philosophical discussions about what should be measured and what shouldn't, what matters and what doesn't and how to know which from which. Doesn't cost a penny to search the archives or to to ask questions.

Re: Measurement Information [message #61078 is a reply to message #61034] Mon, 28 September 2009 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
jp wrote on Sat, 26 September 2009 02:29
JP

I would be happy to offer advice but I'm not familiar with True RTA. If you can post your measurements and provide ant other pertinet information (measurement distance, microphone height, etc. that will help. Is your microphone calibrated?

Re: Measurement Information [message #61087 is a reply to message #61071] Tue, 29 September 2009 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Ok guys, here is a scenario :
Now I've just finished assembling my line array and here I am connecting them to the system .
I have a Behringer calibrated mic ECM 8000, a Real time analyser on my PC and an external sound card that is better than internal PC cards . At this stage I can generate sine waves , pink noise , white noise etc . Now What is the first crucial measure I should do and how to interpret it ? Let'g get this first answer cleared and understood by all amateurs interrested then we can pass to the next question !!!!!!!
Thanks
Previous Topic: What are the differences of the sound when using different isolation transformers?
Next Topic: O Scope
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:47:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout