Home » Audio » General » Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio
Re: Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio [message #60781 is a reply to message #60780] Sun, 06 September 2009 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree, and frankly, I understand. People naturally find their own favorite music. Once you get into high-end audio, you start hearing the flaws in many recordings, so you seek out higher quality cuts. But that sometimes forces you to limit your choices, even branch out. I think that was exactly your point. Smile

Re: Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio [message #61032 is a reply to message #60781] Fri, 25 September 2009 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
I did a quick search on the forum and didn't find any exact matches -- have you all (y'all?) had any discussions on the so-called "volume wars"? I recently posted a YouTube vid link about compression on modern recordings on my website, and also linked to a lengthy Wikipedia article about it. The Wikipedia article has many references, including a website that posts a dynamic range database on over 2400 albums: It's fascinating information, especially when they compare old album releases to newer releases of the same albums. True, it's really depressing to see what's happened, and happening, but, this sort of confirms what our ears are telling us: If we want to find a pop CD with good music material on it*, and at least a decent quality recording, there is a a lot more available if one "goes back 30 years" (or more).

It seems to me to be noteworthy that even "Rolling Stone" has had an extended article about it.

It'd also be great if some of you have the capacity to upload more material to the database -- I'd love to see how something like some more of the old Sheffield releases such as Thelma Houston and The Pressure Cooker: "Pressure Cooker" would rate. ( POW!!! )

This subject can be Googled, or, I have a few "starter" links & that YouTube video here:

http://praudio.com/site/prs-favorite-youtube-music-videos-and-more/

*I'll post further about this, one of these days. One thing that may be encouraging is that when I look up old tunes on YouTube, one often sees comments by youngsters, like one by a 16 year-old saying (paraphrasal) "Jethro Tull is the greatest!", or someone marvelling over "Salisbury" (remastered) or "In the Court of the Crimson King" (which ICCK release sounds best is a topic on Amazon, too), or even talking about how clean the sound is compared to modern recordings. (They notice this even on YouTube, and probably using cheapy computer speakers or $20 headphones!) These are not all audio masterpieces, by any means (though some Tull CD's, for example rate fairly well in the Dynamic Range Database). And, musical taste is just that... BUT... some of these kids seem to have the right idea: There IS more to even rock music than a 3 minute blast of mush.

My God, there may be a slim ray of hope???

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio [message #61033 is a reply to message #61032] Fri, 25 September 2009 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You raise a very good point, and no, I don't think we've ever discussed compression here, not the studio recording kind anyway. It is a pretty popular discussion at the audio get togethers though.

My favorite music growing up was pretty complex and with a very wide dynamic range, which probably contributed to my needs for high efficiency speakers using prosound drivers. Not much else would really work for me. King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, all the art rock of the 60's and 70's has very quiet passages. No compression there. Classical music also tends to have a wide dynamic range. My vinyl collection is almost all classical and art rock.

Now when I listen to the radio, even back then, it's audibly compressed. Now days, even more so. It all sounds like a commercial, same process, make it all one volume level and keep the VU meter pegged at +6dB.

Re: Attracting Non-Audiophiles To High End Audio [message #61035 is a reply to message #61033] Sat, 26 September 2009 02:52 Go to previous message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
I'd agree with basically all of that! I listen to the radio (FM) in my lab (sometimes) and often while working @ my workbench, on a reasonably good, though not "high end" system. I've noticed that after a little bit, I often tend to turn it down to a fairly low level, unless a song I really like comes along. Now, granted that is partially to keep from being blasted by commercials(!), but I also think it's an almost subconscious reaction to the fatiguing sound. I almost never do that, listening to a good CD. (The vast majority of my CD's are old CD's.) In a sense, the volume wars often "backfire", I think. When I have the volume turned down at my end, I don't take much notice of what's being played, for the most part, and most anything new pretty much gets ignored, because it's just more low level hash. It doesn't have a "sound" that involves me, and doesn't even have that "oh, that's a cool old song" / memory / familiarity / impulse to get me to "lend an ear".

This is not to say ALL compression is bad. Carefully used, it can actually add (subjectively) to the "punch" of certain sounds. (I've done this myself, fooling around with a good compressor, and I'm far from being an expert in using one.) But, what's going on now, with most modern recordings, is, it seems to me, often driving people away from real enjoyment and appreciation of, and involvement with, music.

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Previous Topic: Ordering from Parts Express - ART discount?
Next Topic: Stripping 24 ga. wire w/teflon insulation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:32:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout