Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Da Vinci Code
Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6820 is a reply to message #6818] Fri, 19 May 2006 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That sounds more political than spiritual.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6821 is a reply to message #6820] Fri, 19 May 2006 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It`s all connected. Nation is language, culture, history, monuments,... and religion as an important part of identity. On the historic east-west and north-south borders of the worlds...from the 7th century till today.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6822 is a reply to message #6821] Fri, 19 May 2006 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know this better than most. I cringe at what it must be like to live in the hotspots like the "Holy Lands", Yugoslavia, Kashmir and the like.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6823 is a reply to message #6819] Fri, 19 May 2006 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure I follow you. Have you read any of the texts of Qumran or Nag Hammadi? Do you know the story of their discovery?

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6824 is a reply to message #6821] Fri, 19 May 2006 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Religion; since it is based on opinion or "Belief" is really political in nature and operates within a political paradigm. At least that is my understanding of the subject.
Science is non-political in nature. It may be used for political reasons but in it's pure form is not a political entity.
As an impartial observer it appears to me that if you fight a war in the name of Christ you have basically negated all of his teachings that I am aware of. Hence the political part. That I think is what confuses me about this subject. And why I can't understand the hulla-balloo surrounding this book and movie.
I still wonder why if a person really is a true believer he would care a wit about anything anyone else says.
The whole thing smacks of a power play by forces manipulating groups of people.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6825 is a reply to message #6823] Fri, 19 May 2006 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No. I really know nothing of this in terms of history or anthropology.
But from reading a post on this forum some time ago I gathered there was
the Niciaeen Creed in the early years of Christianity that dictated the core beliefs that would establish fixed rules of worship. The stumbling block lies in which translation of the early scriptures one whishes to consider; the Greek translation or the Latin. That will tell what you feel is true in this story. Thats the extent of what I know.
I'm not arguing here I have no ability to argue this point. I just wonder why people will get up-in-arms over something they should be absolutely contemptuous of if they really believe what they believe.

Like water off a ducks back. Thats how I would feel.
But I also understand how it would be of interest to a person. Like politics is for me! So I would enjoy to learn of some of the underlying issues revolving around this; but it seems it might be a sore subject to some.
I did read a very good article concerning the Gospel Of Thomas in Harpers last year.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6826 is a reply to message #6824] Fri, 19 May 2006 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Religion isn`t based just on "opinion", but on words of God.
Science is a very political in nature.
No-one fights a war "in the name of Christ", but the Christian religion is important part of (our) national identity. Through the ages, many (other nations with different religions; and political sistems - comunism) wanted to destroy it (religion and identity) - but failed.

"I still wonder why if a person really is a true believer he would care a wit about anything anyone else says."
Because - theory and words precede to the practice, and the practice was destroyed churches and political/economy terror.
And believer isn`t some monach in the trance-state, but citizen in the real world.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6827 is a reply to message #6826] Sat, 20 May 2006 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not bad D. Good explanation. But by definition a belief is a persons opinion of what is right in the world. Thats the definition of Belief. If it was a fact it would be called a fact.
So for whatever reason people go to war; it is still; whether religion or ethnic or language a political descision. If they could not justify war on religous grounds they would do it on ethnic grounds or as we did in Iraq for resource. There will always be a reason for war; religion is just a convienient name for the provocation. Right?
In other words even if there were no religions there would still be war.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6828 is a reply to message #6827] Sat, 20 May 2006 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Huh, we`re going to far from ordinary movie discussion...I talk too much
If you can find some time, try to locate (library?) these two books I mentioned...

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6829 is a reply to message #6828] Sat, 20 May 2006 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No problem; but it's nice to have something to offer more substantial than the usual movie-like it or don't like it talk.
I'm still reading Thomas Mann; it deals with much of what we are discussing only from both sides as a novel. I have wanted to read this for many years along with Remmembrence of Things Past/Proust. Now I have the time and the experience to appreciate these monuments of literature.

Previous Topic: Beatle CD'S
Next Topic: Turtles can fly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 16:19:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout