Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Da Vinci Code
Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6802 is a reply to message #6793] Thu, 18 May 2006 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So; D-Man, you are saying the movie is just not well made? I am not a huge Tom Hanks fan so maybe you are right. I think he overacts. Although he wasn't bad in the terminal.
But back to the subject; why would anyone care. I mean if they are true believers then nothing anyone else says should mean anything to them; right?
And if people are convinced to believe something is true by a book of fiction; then they aren't too high wattage anyway so who would worry about what they think?

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6804 is a reply to message #6801] Thu, 18 May 2006 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a whole other issue, in my opinion, John. Probably a discussion better suited for the Tower, but we're here, so why not kick it around a bit. Fits the movie, so I'm game.

To me, there's a difference between having a legitimate source for a text and having a text with legitiate information. The first is a little less ambiguous. As an example, the texts found in Qumran can be pretty well dated and found to be early versions of the texts in the Bible. That makes them arguably the most accurate copies, all others being handed down by them.

As to the contents and whether or not they're accurate, that's a matter for philosophers to decide. It's religion. It's like politics. Or science. The ideas tend to fluctuate and evolve. What's right and wrong? What's accurate? My bet is on systems that work. If the idea describes something accurately, it's a good model.

So religion then is a model of behaviors, those that are successful and those that aren't. It's a model of the universe too, to some degree. Science is too. And so is politics.

To answer what is true and what is false is at the heart of the matter. Is the Earth the center of the solar system, or is the Sun? Should man kill or should he not? What if the resources are limited? Should he share, or should it be survival of the fittest? What is gravity? How much does all this matter?

I think Douglas Adams was right. He answered it precisely: 42.
Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6811 is a reply to message #6802] Thu, 18 May 2006 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Interestingly, based on some research (read in the newspapers, must be on the net somewhere), 2/3 of people who read this book think that is for real...
Applause for the people who are the enemy of my religion, they spit on it and make money that way? No way...

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6812 is a reply to message #6804] Fri, 19 May 2006 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No No; I understand the whole philosophy angle. I just meant how one can judge accuracy or correctness based upon subjective evidence. I do not claim to know anything about this whole biblical thing but I know the foundations of thought involved have always been contentious even within the churches. So how to judge the accuracy of any opinion anyone might have regarding the events in question. Therefor how the heck can people be so divisive regarding what is demonstrably just a novel or story; like the Bible.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6814 is a reply to message #6811] Fri, 19 May 2006 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
As a religous person why do you talk of enemies? You should have compassion for those who suffer under a deluded state of being far from the grace of God; right? Thomas Aquinas.
Anyone who thinks this crappy book is real is to lame to pay attention to. I could not get past the first chapter it was so bad.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6815 is a reply to message #6814] Fri, 19 May 2006 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I added in the end of the message as a sign that it isn`t too serious, but little funny and ironic. I found (in my messages before) this book/film trash, and everything about it light-minded.
But, enemies - yeah, the masks are down and many showed theirselves.
I can have a compassion, but enemies are enemies...

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6816 is a reply to message #6815] Fri, 19 May 2006 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Onward Christian soldiers. I don't know if you have ever read The Magic Mountain? Thomas Mann.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6817 is a reply to message #6812] Fri, 19 May 2006 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Again, there are two things that can be judged for legitimacy. One is the legitimacy of a document itself, i.e. whether it is a forgery, whether it is actually ancient or more recent. Another is the legitimacy of the contents. You are bringing into question the legitimacy of the contents, which is essentially a philosophical debate. There is merit in that discussion for sure. But before we even get that far, I think it is important to look at the legitimacy of the document, itself. For example, the documents of the Priory of Sion are completely bogus. No point in even discussing them. But the documents found at Qumran and Nag Hammadi are significant.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6818 is a reply to message #6816] Fri, 19 May 2006 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, would you like me to post a picture of St. Mary church ruin from my area? Gotic, one of the most interesting monuments in this part of the Europe. Burned in 17th century (Turks), heavily damaged in WW2, restored 1973. and totaly destroyed (explosive) in 1991. by the enemy of Christian religion (and my people) - they killed 45 civilians in this village, besides the church.

Re: Da Vinci Code [message #6819 is a reply to message #6817] Fri, 19 May 2006 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes absolutely there can be no argument there. I just wonder how they can argue a case where all of the evidence that would support those documents is purely subjective since there is no way of validating the absolute authenticity of the information contained within the documents.
I geuss the way I see it is they are arguing the merritt of a point that has never been authenticipated.

Previous Topic: Beatle CD'S
Next Topic: Turtles can fly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 12:09:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout