Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 12Pi is a 4 ohm speaker?
icon5.gif  Re: 12Pi is a 4 ohm speaker? [message #60105 is a reply to message #59742] Wed, 08 July 2009 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 04 July 2009 12:35

As for panel fitment, we actually cut our on a CNC machine and use dados for every panel. This makes assembly a lot easier, and ensures a perfect fit. Our flat pack kits come this way too.

The plans we send out do not show dados for two reasons. One is to protect our investment in design time and CAD, CAM and CNC programming. We make flat pack kits available for those that want them. The other reason is if you're planning to cut out the parts yourself with a table saw and hand tools, you probably won't be cutting dadoes anyway.

If you buy flat pack kits from us, the plans aren't used as a cutting guide, only for identification of parts and where they go. If you want CNC cut parts, you should buy from us rather than trying to duplicate the CAD drawings and CNC programming. I've worked with outside shops that tried to do their own CAD and CNC from the non-dado plans, and they inevitably get some dimensions wrong somewhere. It becomes frustrating for both them and me.

Very good explanation from Wayne. I was bothering with that for years. Thanks. I would say that CNC programming can be ~/half the price of the parts for a small scale production (a pair or more). A lot of people don't know, when we talk about computers, they are used to go to a shop shelf and buy the CAD 'games'. So what is the worst part for Wayne and everybody (or better) is the turning point, when you can 'sell' the CADCAM drawings done and payed a few years back, not just (for) the initial prototype.

I would like to ask Wayne, about the LAB12s. Do they have foam surrounds, or was that changed already, for new versions.

Re: 12Pi development [message #60120 is a reply to message #60105] Wed, 08 July 2009 10:08 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
dB wrote on Wed, 08 July 2009 03:16
I would like to ask Wayne, about the LAB12s. Do they have foam surrounds, or was that changed already, for new versions.

Yes, the LAB12 and PI-12 woofers have foam surrounds.

dB wrote on Wed, 08 July 2009 03:16
Very good explanation from Wayne. I was bothering with that for years. Thanks. I would say that CNC programming can be ~/half the price of the parts for a small scale production (a pair or more). A lot of people don't know, when we talk about computers, they are used to go to a shop shelf and buy the CAD 'games'. So what is the worst part for Wayne and everybody (or better) is the turning point, when you can 'sell' the CADCAM drawings done and payed a few years back, not just (for) the initial prototype.

That's very true. It was not your typical development cycle of McBean model to cut and fit prototype to drawing. This one had significant design costs associated with it.

I spent tens of thousands of dollars on R&D for this basshorn, much of it on having the CAD and CAM drawings and models done. Over and above that, I spent another huge chunk of change on the patent for the cooling system. So when people get the plans, they're getting the benefit of a huge investment in time and money.

All of my loudspeakers have an associated investment of my time, my models, and my measurements. There's usually several hundred hours of design and testing involved. But that's mostly sweat equity, so to speak, with the other costs being limited to cost for the prototype, and amortized costs of the measurement gear and so on.

The 12π took that and much more. There was about $40,000 spent in development and thousands of man-hours in design, testing and associated support efforts. It's a pretty big deal.

Nothing else even comes close.
Previous Topic: "Feelin good, walkin' tall; ya think I might be officer material?"
Next Topic: Converting 3 Pi to 4 Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 00:42:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout