Home » xyzzy » Tower » Wal-Mart Abandons Germany
Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55395] Fri, 28 July 2006 08:05 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; the German people required the company be responsible corporate citizens. I guess they didn't like the fact that they couldn't run over the people like they do here. So they have announced they will not be serving Germans anymore. The German people are very wounded by that loss.

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55396 is a reply to message #55395] Sat, 29 July 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
To be fair, Germany is one of the toughest places in the world to operate a profitable business that is not actively engaged in warfare.

Many others besides Walmart have failed to succeed under German law and those who do thrive cater to the super-premium market, which clearly isn't Walmart's niche.

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55397 is a reply to message #55396] Sat, 29 July 2006 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep thats a fact; a higher placed product line actually bought out all the Wal-Mart stores. But part of it is still their predatory marketting and operating practices. Anyone who is interested enough to investigate them will be appalled; appalled I say. The best part is their insistance that they provide jobs when the truth is they destroy the job markett in rural areas.

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55398 is a reply to message #55397] Mon, 31 July 2006 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Don't they add value to their consumers? and shareholders? legally?
-akhilesh

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55399 is a reply to message #55398] Mon, 31 July 2006 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well are their consumers also taxpayers and citizens? If so then the answer is no.
Yes they add value to their shareholders but at the cost they project onto the community; as a value-added construct it would depend on each individual shareholder.

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55400 is a reply to message #55399] Tue, 01 August 2006 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Could you elaborate why they don't add value to society? They have a very efficient supply chain, and are attracting lots of customers becuase of their price (value). So are all these customers wrong?
How exactly are they taking value away from society? surely if they were not adding value, people would not be thrionging at their store. what do you think?

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55401 is a reply to message #55400] Tue, 01 August 2006 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why they don't add value to society.
Their predatory supply model. Forcing competitors to underbid each other until through monopolistic practice the buyer determines the value; not the manufacturer. If the manufacturer cannot comply with the monopolistic pricing they are effectively driven out of business.
They demand tax incentives as a reward for establishing a position in the community; then abandon that structure as it ages and becomes a community liability.
They drive existing businesses out of the area through monopolistic pricing; then drive wages down and force the existing social structures to provide health care and schooling and sanitation etc; all for nothing since they were already awarded tax relief and as such don't pay.
Thats the big three; they are able to use to destroy competition through laws that are compromised by legislative action favoring large contributors to PACS and because they are central to the Republican push to destroy labor unions and allow illegal labor to undercut wages. If the legal system was properly enforced regarding labor rules and environmental laws and laws abridging monopolistic practice by our current government they would be forced to compete fairly and as such would have to end their predatory business model.

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55402 is a reply to message #55395] Thu, 03 August 2006 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wal Mart is a fascinating example of corporate greed. They probably aren't doing anything that at least one other megacorporation is doing too, but more than any company I know, including the major oil company I used to work for, they always seem to choose the low road in defining their obilgations to their stockholders versus their responsibility to their employees and to society. One organizations that's dedicated to changing Wal Mart is linked below.

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55403 is a reply to message #55402] Thu, 03 August 2006 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Fred. There was a thorough and balanced article in The Atlantic Monthly two issues ago where they describe the theory of the "Monopsony" and how the Wal-Mart exect's have created their success based on this business theory. Not only are their practices insidious and supported by current administration positions but they are seeking to advance this model throughout the NAFTA nations. This is fully supported by current immigration policy. People really should wake up.

Re: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany [message #55418 is a reply to message #55401] Wed, 09 August 2006 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"Their predatory supply model. Forcing competitors to underbid each other until through monopolistic practice the buyer determines the value; not the manufacturer. If the manufacturer cannot comply with the monopolistic pricing they are effectively driven out of business."

Umm, that would mean that they are monopolists, and they should be charging HIGHER prices than in a free mareket. I haven;t seen anyone accuse them of that. From whatI ahve seen ,they are charging the LOWEST prices. Are you saying you have some inside knowledge that they are only doing this so they can become a monopooly and THEN charge people an arm & a leg? I find that hard to believe that is their strategy.

"They demand tax incentives as a reward for establishing a position in the community; then abandon that structure as it ages and becomes a community liability."
MOST businesses demand tax incentives. Nothing wrong with that. I am assuming community governments CAN say no.

"They drive existing businesses out of the area through monopolistic pricing; then drive wages down and force the existing social structures to provide health care and schooling and sanitation etc; all for nothing since they were already awarded tax relief and as such don't pay."

OK, we have already extablished they are NOT monopolists. Otherwise they;d be charging HIGH prices, not low. AS far as I know, they do not require anyone to join them..people are free to leave them or find other jobs. IF these other jobs are ones in organizations that cannot compete with Walmart, well then maybe these folks need to learn some new skills.

"Thats the big three; they are able to use to destroy competition through laws that are compromised by legislative action favoring large contributors to PACS and because they are central to the Republican push to destroy labor unions and allow illegal labor to undercut wages. "
AS far as I can see ,they are detroying competition by offering the LOWEST proces with the most eff supply chain. I did not know of ANY regulation that favors them OVER their competitors..perhaps you would like ot cite some real legisltation here.
I do know that MAryland passed a law PENALIZING specifically walmart.

"
If the legal system was properly enforced regarding labor rules and environmental laws and laws abridging monopolistic practice by our current government they would be forced to compete fairly and as such would have to end their predatory business model."
I don;t think you have stablished at all that their pricing model is predatory, in fact, based on your statements I would recommend you look up these terms in a basic economics text book. I think you are misapplying them here.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Not Enough Pigs In The Oil Business
Next Topic: Man of God
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 11:59:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers