Home » xyzzy » Tower » Wal-Mart Abandons Germany
Re: Economic Theory [message #55439 is a reply to message #55438] Sat, 12 August 2006 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; unless they suck you into a relationship then grind you down piece by piece until it's too late to adapt and bam; you're done. You were one of the lucky ones; accept that. Not to mention what do you do after they run all the other outlets out of business and you have NO choice. And you who treat your employees fairley and as such can't afford to indulge these pirates. Not to mention what they do to the tax base in your community and the health care facilities. That is real not some dream or phantasy. try having five kids and see if your perspective changes.
That was what Fred and Myself are trying so hard to point out.
And there are something like 86 sites that aged out and they abandoned around the country and refuse to pay for the clean-up and address their huge law firm on retainer to fight in court any community that tries to get them to clean up their mess.
So it isn't really about choice is it?

In A Pickle [message #55440 is a reply to message #55438] Sun, 13 August 2006 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I once heard an interview of the CEO of a pickle company on the radio. He was talking about how his company began supplying pickles to Wal Mart some years back, and eventually they found Wal Mart accounted for over 75% of their business. Then Wal Mart began pressuring them to reduce their wholesale price, and they had no choice but to comply or to suffer considerable financial damage and lay off most of their workers. They chose to lower the price, which incidentally made it impossible to do anything about the already low wages paid to the migrant workers who pick the pickles.

Re: In A Pickle [message #55446 is a reply to message #55440] Sun, 13 August 2006 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That pickle company is in a pickle, aren't they? I don't mean to sound like I was defending Wal-Mart. I just don't pay them much attention. I realized twenty years ago that they weren't good to do business with and that the lure of selling large quantities was not worth the eroded profits that it cost. As the numbers inched down, I opted out.

Re: Economic Theory [message #55448 is a reply to message #55439] Sun, 13 August 2006 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I didn't mean to sound like I was defending Wal-Mart - I wasn't. But ultimately everyone has a choice. Some would consider painful choices to not be choices, but they are. Ultimately, the way to deal with Wal-Mart is to not deal with them, if you don't like the way they do business, don't do business with them.

I think what you would like to see is legislation that makes this happen. I don't know if that's necessary or not, but I do know that I'll not do business with Wal-Mart because it isn't worth it. That's what hundreds of other suppliers have said for the past 25 years or so too. There are other problems with how Wal-Mart enters communities and how they sometimes coerce purchaes of store properties using tactics like eminent domain. Those are all things I've heard about Wal-Mart. But I think it all still boils down to telling Wal-Mart to take a hike, and that can be done in a variety of ways.

I hate being in "David and Goliath" positions; It can be so frustrating. I'm sure some of the positions individuals and small companies have found themselves in with Wal-Mart have been very uncomfortable and unfair. Some aren't as easy to do as just turning and walking away. But that is the answer for many Wal-Mart vendors.

Re: Economic Theory [message #55453 is a reply to message #55448] Sun, 13 August 2006 16:41 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The problem is Wal-Mart is given unfair advantage in business through unequal labor and business law; or laws that are applied unequally or not applied at all. Whether you like Wal-Mart or not is irrelevant. The effect their business practices have on all of us is serious and detrimental to us as a society.
I remind us all what Teddy Roosevelt said when J.P. Morgan threatened to shut down the railroads if his company did not get it's way.
Old Teddy said'" Tell J.P. he runs those trains or I'll send the United States army to his front door."
He also said "Walk Softly But Carry A Big Stick"; the best description of diplomacy ever given. I wish our current administration read history.

Previous Topic: Not Enough Pigs In The Oil Business
Next Topic: Man of God
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 05:43:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout