Home » xyzzy » Tower » Another Bush victory....
Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55236 is a reply to message #55235] Wed, 10 May 2006 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have to check the deficit as it stood before Clinton; then look at it the year he left office then the deficit as it stands now.
One of the reasons I don't get involved in dueling links is becuase something as plain as what has happened to the deficit is common knowledge and avialable to anyone who is interested. Mr Vinyl uses a little slieght of hand in posting the national public debt which reflects all debt's both public and private held by individuals as well as the government; such as mortgages and such.
Very tricky.
The issue of the entitlements goes pretty deep in our country. To be fair it would require a complete overhaul of all subsidy programs. The majority of the funds earmarcked for entitlements go to corporate and business wealth.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55238 is a reply to message #55236] Wed, 10 May 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Did you know that McDonald's gets an advertising subsidy for their overseas ads? Designed for growing an export business with tax breaks.

The complete overhaul is what's needed, and no one in our government is willing to tackle it. GW's PSA's were a band aid, and an pinky size one at that.

Personally I have no intention to retire. I have the advantage of owning my own business. (Yes, oxymoron, business owner that's not republican). Social Security won't and cannot exist as we know it 20-25 years from now. I'll just cut to a couple of days a week, and hire and pay good people to help me in with my walker.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55239 is a reply to message #55238] Wed, 10 May 2006 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What's your business LC if I may ask?
And as far as the non-republican thing I know of quite a few business owners who dislike this administration. They would prefer a true conservative government as would I. I follow the old saying;
Those who are not liberal when they are young have no heart.
Those who are not conservative when they are old have no mind.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55240 is a reply to message #55239] Wed, 10 May 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I had been a member of the NFIB(the largest small business lobby) for over 25 years. I dropped my membership this year because of the candidates they support. Yes, they were good for business, but disasters in every other respect. I got the distinct impression after I gave my rep a diatribe that I was not the first business owner he'd heard it from.

As I was counting the drawer tonite I was reminded of when I was working in my Dad's hdwe store. I gave a man his change, and he said "Give me two nickels for that dime, I won't carry Roosevelt in my pocket". I thought that was odd, but now I understand how you can dislike an administration so much.

I'm in the equipment and party rental business. Construction, tents, tables, chairs. Babybeds to backhoes.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55241 is a reply to message #55240] Wed, 10 May 2006 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; I have a friend that does that. He only has to work through the summer to make his nut for the year.
It's nice to get another point of view here. We used to have Charlie who had a good sense of reason but he lived in New Orleans and Katrina (And of course the total neglect by Bush) wiped him out and we haven't heard from him. He was the only guy who would take my side sometimes.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55242 is a reply to message #55241] Thu, 11 May 2006 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
"He only has to work through the summer to make his nut for the year."

I wish. You know how they talk about retailers making their year in December, that's us in apr, may, june. Covering up the red ink from Dec, Jan, Feb. But in a little over a year the bank no longer owns me. There's gonna be a big party. It's been 50-70 hour weeks for 12 yrs. Should have been 9, but the late 2000 tank really crimped business up until the middle of last year. Maybe that's why I don't believe they're pro business, at least small business. I've been through 4 administrations in business for myself. Reagan, Bush (Hardware Store),Clinton (Rental Store and Hardware Store), BushII. I made money with Clinton, added 2 locations and paid debt. Under the others I struggled like hell just to pay the debt and keep the doors open.

Mr. Vinyl is correct that the president does not directly affect the economy, but what he does with the pulpit influences it. I have a relative who has made a fortune in the market. He learned very quickly to short the market whenever George gave a speech. EVERY time until last fall, whenever George spoke, the market dropped. The results are statisically significant. The graph is pretty funny actually.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55243 is a reply to message #55242] Thu, 11 May 2006 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Congratulations on the freedom at last! Nice to hear a success story.

You know it's not just the pulpit. Remmember the pres appoints the cabinet; thats Sec. Of/Education/State/Labor/Defense/Interior blah blah. They are all appointed by him and they all submitt budgetary requests that reflect his wishes. Thats why you always hear of the veto if the Congress doesn't pass the funding programs he wants. Take the No Child Left Behind Act. Thats his baby and it cost us taxpayers a lot of money.
He is not the passive actor that Mr V says; he is the man who sets the budgetary priorities and they had better follow his wishes. Ask any Poly-Sci major who is most responsible for determining spending in the govt.

Hardware; boy I miss the local hardware guys. I hate Home Depot.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55245 is a reply to message #55243] Thu, 11 May 2006 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I love my current business, but I miss the hardware store. My Dad started it in 58, I bought it from him in 85, and closed it to open more rental stores in 95. The profit was gone. HD, Lowes, WalMart, had driven it out. There were also massive shifts going on in wholesale and suppliers. I should have just put the key in the door and kept the inventory. It really pisses me off to go buy a bolt for .50 when I know the cost is .05. We were an old time store. Wood floors, antique ceiling fans, grumpy old guys who knew everything, relic of a bygone high service age.

I have made it a point not to shop the big boxes. We have another really good hdwe store here, he's too high, but I don't care. I refuse to shop at the boxes unless there's no choice.

Re: I would rather tax less and spend less... [message #55246 is a reply to message #55245] Thu, 11 May 2006 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know if you will allow me a little leeway here. Obviously people made a conscious descision that saving a couple dollars here and there is very important to them. So they frequent the boxes. But I went through the whole process of buying deck screws with a couple friends one night. We started out with getting into our cars and ended at home with a box of No 8 3" screws. The difference in price between the last privately owned HD and the Depot was about 40c. For that we had to stand on long lines; get no help with locating the screws and no freindly faces in the store.
On the opposing side we were in and out of the local HD; got some good advice and were home twenty minutes sooner. Thats a simple errand. The difficult ones are more demanding and distastefull. The moral of this storey is people are easily convinced about things that many times are either completely wrong or bad for them.
There are no bargains in life or commerce.

No, this is! [message #55255 is a reply to message #55229] Thu, 11 May 2006 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Previous Topic: The Deficit and why George wants one
Next Topic: Didn't Bush Swear They Were Only Looking At International Calls?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 05:26:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio