Home » xyzzy » Tower » Miers
Miers [message #54742] Mon, 17 October 2005 18:55 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
This is great; a Supreme Court Justice with a serious father fixation on a guy who looks and sounds like Alfred E. Newman.
A grown woman who speaks like a teenybopper," Gee I hope the twins know their parents are,'cool'."
Freud could do a whole thesis on this one.

She's against abortion; so, whats abortion?
Thats after you have sex.
So; whats sex?

Re: Miers [message #54751 is a reply to message #54742] Tue, 18 October 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Since Reagan, the most publicized issue for choosing a new Supreme Court justice has stemmed from the appointees view on the Roe vs. Wade ruling. Surely there must be more issues to choosing a justice for the highest court in the land, no matter which side of the isle you sit on.

Maybe one of the most rudimentary requirements should be that you have prior experience as a judge before? What gives here, how does a person even recognize a thought that says hey, let’s nominate this fine lawyer for a justice seat on the supreme court. The JP at the Elvis chapel of love in Vegas could have more judiciary experience.

Re: Miers [message #54755 is a reply to message #54751] Tue, 18 October 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's called Kissing Ass.
The main point is it really shows how little regard this George has for the institutions of our Government and our history.

And the 41 other appointees that were confirmed without being a judge first.... [message #54758 is a reply to message #54755] Tue, 18 October 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do they also show "how little regard George has for the institutions of our Government and our history? Fact is almost half of the supreme court justices had no prior experience as a judge. 41 out of 109 had no experience as judge. So apparently George knows quite a bit about Government and History.

Re: And the 41 other appointees that were confirmed without being a judge first.... [message #54759 is a reply to message #54758] Tue, 18 October 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the info, I didn’t realize such a thing could occur.

In my mind having a seat on the Supreme Court, a justice should at the least have some prior judicial experience in a smaller court venue.

This should apply for all presidents as far as I'm concerned.

Re: And the 41 other appointees that were confirmed without being a judge first.... [message #54760 is a reply to message #54759] Tue, 18 October 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The reason why it is less important to be a judge in order to serve on the Supreme Court is that the Supreme Court is only deciding on constitutional issues. By the time the court agrees to take a case, it has already been the subject of rounds of litigation in the lower courts. In other words, all you really need to be is an expert on the constitution. Keep in mind I am not defending this nominee. I am not happy with her either. I am not happy with her only because she isn't a known entity. I don't want to hope she will uphold the constitution. I want to know she will. As far as her not being a judge, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't believe William Rehnquist was a judge before he was appointed and I think he turned out to be a great chief justice.

Re: And the 41 other appointees that were confirmed without being a judge first.... [message #54761 is a reply to message #54759] Tue, 18 October 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I am not opposing her; hell she's probably going to be better than whatever they have waiting in the wings. The abortion issue isn't going anywhere; they will put tighter reigns on who and how people can get one but thats not neccessarily a bad thing. I don't like the fact that the more affluent can get one anytime they want by moving across country or out of country while the poor are subject to the whims of the state they are stuck in; but thats something for a future debate.
This Miers is plain nuts; thats my objection as a citizen. Read the things she writes; geez; she's a headcase. No one would say you need to be a judge to write constitutional opinions but you do need to be somewhat rational and normal.

Re: And the 41 other appointees that were confirmed without being a judge first.... [message #54762 is a reply to message #54760] Tue, 18 October 2005 14:07 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I can see your point and even agree with it to an extent. I'm sure some for the best judges on the court may have had no previous service on a bench.
I still insist that a prerequisite for being a Supreme Court justice, a person should have prior judicial experience.

Previous Topic: Sure looks like DeLay is innocent....
Next Topic: Watch the New Tax Law
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 10:30:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout