Home » xyzzy » Tower » To Bill Martinelli - Sorry for this duplicate post but I wanted you to see this analogy.
Some facts [message #54728 is a reply to message #54705] Sat, 15 October 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not that it makes any difference but...

David R. Kamerschen is a real person
He is an Ecomonics Professor at U of G

BUT he was not the author of that story

It's a good story, but the fact that it has to falsely attribute its origin to Dr. Kamerschen to establish legitimacy puts me off a little.

Re: Some facts [message #54729 is a reply to message #54728] Sat, 15 October 2005 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Interesting. Do you know who the author is? I got the story off of the internet and posted it as it was found.

I found this on a search. You may be interested. [message #54730 is a reply to message #54728] Sat, 15 October 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It comes from the Urban Legends web site. Apparently he is not the author but was at one time distributing the story to his students. This is how it got falsely attributed to him. That is assuming the Web site is correct. See link. Here is the part concerning David Kamerschen:

The signature block at the bottom of the currently circulating Internet version identifies it as being the work of "T. Davies," a Professor of Accounting at the University of South Dakota. Professor Thomas Davies does indeed teach at USD's School of Business, but when we inquired of him whether he was the originator of this piece, we received the following response:

Thank you for your message. I previously distributed the "How Taxes Really Work" article (as well as other opinion pieces reflecting different perspectives) to my graduate tax class to encourage them to think beyond the rules and regulations. Unfortunately, it is rather easy to focus on the myriad of complex rules and forget that tax policy frequently influences taxpayer behavior beyond what may have been intended. Thus my students are frequently asked to think "outside the box," and consider such topics a tax complexity, alternative forms of taxation, and the impact of taxes on behavior. The article was not written by me, and I have intentionally avoided commenting on its validity in order to encourage my students to think critically, and to assist in the development of their analytical and communication skills. I am unaware of the true author's identity, which is unfortunate, since the piece has generated considerable interest. Unfortunately, one of my students sent it along and erroneously contributed the authorship to me.

Re: Gee;Facts//Why am I not surprised? [message #54731 is a reply to message #54729] Sat, 15 October 2005 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
More BS

Not surprised at what? [message #54735 is a reply to message #54731] Sun, 16 October 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That someone would use facts? When I posted the story I said right off the bat that I got it off of the internet and that it had been bouncing around for a while. Here is another little tip for you. If your going to post something have a point. It makes it so much more interesting for the readers.

Re: Readers? How would you know? [message #54736 is a reply to message #54735] Sun, 16 October 2005 10:30 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
NT

Previous Topic: Condi, Hillary, and … Angelina?
Next Topic: Whats that strange disease; where you lose the ability to read; convieniently?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 13:27:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio