Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » New Preamp on the bench
New Preamp on the bench [message #9902] Fri, 02 February 2007 10:54 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Just wanted to mention that I have a new preamp on the bench, well it has actually moved beyond the bench and into my system for a listen. Initial impressions are very good. This design uses a 5687 (1/2 per channel). The 5687 is biased (82ohm AN Tant) for 18ma and the plate load is a CCS. Pretty ordinary, but then the fun begins. This goes to a 3.3uf Obligato parafeed cap (cool looking copper jacket) and then to a Lundall LL1676 4:1 step down transformer. This gives me single ended or balanced output, lower output impedance, and loads of isolation from the rest of the system. The power supply is tube rectified (6CA4) and choke loaded and will soon be shunt regulated using a CCS on top of gas regulators. For volume control I'm using a step attenuator and the pre is silver wired throughout. If anyone is looking for a nice project, this has been pretty rewarding so far. As it cooks in, I'll add any meaningful comments about the sound. One thing I did notice right off is that there is great focus and depth. The bass is a bit different than before, it isn't as "thick" as my prior 6SN7 pre, but seems to have more punch. Strange. I'll investigate further.

Re: New Preamp on the bench [message #9903 is a reply to message #9902] Fri, 02 February 2007 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hmm, sounds interesting. Balanced outputs, nice touch. Tube PS too, sweet! What would you think about making it a group build project? Most of them have had several builders get involved.

Re: New Preamp on the bench [message #9904 is a reply to message #9903] Sat, 03 February 2007 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
wayne, sounds fine to me if others are intersted. I'd be happy to help w/schematic, photos, etc. By the way, I bought the chassis here: www.diyenclosures.com. Really professional looking bit of work they do. I'm still working on the phono stage, likely it will be an adaptation of an Audible Illusions design that I really like. If others are interested in a group build, let me know.

Re: New Preamp on the bench [message #9905 is a reply to message #9904] Sat, 03 February 2007 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds great, Steve! Send me the schematic and whatever you think might help with assembly, photos, instructions, etc. I'll upload them into the Group Build Projects folder. Perhaps you can write-up the build process there. That would be great!

Re: New Preamp on the bench [message #9906 is a reply to message #9905] Mon, 05 February 2007 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks for the offer, Wayne, but after more listening, I don't think she's ready for the dance just yet. After trying a number of combinations I just couldn't get "tone". Sounded lean - and I've exprienced that with these transformers before. There's no indication of this if you look at the frequency response, it's very extended. But on actual listening, my simple 6SN7 plate loaded line stage sounds much better (about 150v on the plate, 7 -8ma I, Rk=600, B+ = 300, Rp = 20k Mills 5w). And I was lucky enough to have Bill E confirm my feelings on the differences. Once I get the phono stage worked out, I'll see about posting photos and schematic. Wish I had some good schematic drawing software!

Re: New Preamp on the bench [message #9907 is a reply to message #9906] Mon, 05 February 2007 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds good, thanks!

About schematic software, you might download the demo version of OrCAD. There are tube models available for it, and you can model the circuit with PSpice, which is a built-in module. To distribute a schematic, you can make a GIF file of the CAD drawing.

Re: New Preamp on the bench [message #9948 is a reply to message #9902] Wed, 11 April 2007 10:16 Go to previous message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
I wanted to know what a preamped bench was. Is this what you would consider to be what the speakers go in when you stick them into your car. I think they call it a pre made box that supports for speakers bass.

Previous Topic: Oh my, what a big toob you have!
Next Topic: Almarro amp for sale
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 09:38:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout