Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Resistor Recommendations for DIY Power Amp
Resistor Recommendations for DIY Power Amp [message #9922] Wed, 21 February 2007 17:10 Go to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
In the process of building the BEAST (OTL) from TranscendentSound.

Would appreciate the forum members input on resistors as I am about to start to source resistors.

1) Vishay/Dale Metal Film: 1/4 & 1/2 Watt TYPE RN series (RN55D, RN60D, RN65D). For values between 374 and 1M. Are these decent?

2) Metal Oxide or Wirewound for the 2 & 3 Watt Resistors. What manufacturer/PN would do the BEAST proud?

3) Wirewound 5 Watt resistors. Same here - any suggestions?

Thanks
JShoc

Re: Resistor Recommendations for DIY Power Amp [message #9923 is a reply to message #9922] Fri, 23 February 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't use any wirewound resistors, not even in the power supply. Non-inductive resistors don't cost much more and are closer to being purely resistive. You can buy them from Mills or Ohmite (Audio Gold) and even the Dayton non-inductive resistors are pretty good. So go with one of these brands for the resistors larger than 1 watt.

For the smaller wattage parts, get Tantalum Nitride film resistors if you can. You'll find them from manufacturers such as IRC, Shinkoh (out of production) or Audio Note. Less expensive, more readily available components can be found using carbon film or metal film or foil technologies. Good brands for these are Riken Ohm, Allen-Bradley, Vishay and Holco.

Re: Resistor Recommendations for DIY Power Amp [message #9925 is a reply to message #9923] Sat, 24 February 2007 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
Wayne, thanks for the recommendations.

Intial Findings:

For Resistors

Re: Resistor Recommendations for DIY Power Amp [message #9926 is a reply to message #9925] Sat, 24 February 2007 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have used Kiwames for several projects and like them. I replaced Vishay's with the Kiwames and things smoothed out a bit. I intend on using them in my Darling amp.

Re: Resistor Recommendations for DIY Power Amp [message #9927 is a reply to message #9926] Thu, 01 March 2007 17:31 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The Kiwame have worked well for me in a few projects. There are nice 3W metal film from BC Components and IRC available through Mouser. With any resistor selection, be sure of your power requirements, possibly de-rate a bit to account for stagnant air under a chassis.
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Duncan Amps PSUD
Next Topic: My Thoughts on Being a Transformer Vendor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:49:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers