Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Seduction done!
Seduction done! [message #9865] Tue, 21 November 2006 22:23 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, after paint mishaps and whatnot, I think I've finally finished the Seduction. It sounds great with only a little bit of hum that is not audible to me at the listening position, so not a problem.

Here's some pics (click on the little ones to enlarge them). My first real tube project! And I didn't shock myself once!!!!

Thanks goes to Wayne for offering me the kit!

Sweet! [message #9866 is a reply to message #9865] Sun, 26 November 2006 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So glad that little phono stage found a good home at your place!

Re: Seduction done! [message #9867 is a reply to message #9865] Fri, 01 December 2006 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice job, Shane. How's the 12b4 amp comng along. Have you been hearing it much? What are your impressions?
-akhilesh

12B4 [message #9868 is a reply to message #9867] Fri, 01 December 2006 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I love the little 12B4, especially with my Pi Two Towers! These are the speakers I initially heard the amp on in Tulsa and the main reason I bought it. There is plenty of bass and volume in my 12'X15' bedroom. Very smooth mids as expected. Jef added a bandwidth limiter on this amp, and it seems to do well with it.

I had a hiccup where the fuse blew once, right at switch on. It was hardwired in, so I put in a fuse holder and put in a new 1A/slo-blo and looked the other way upon turn on :). Checked all the voltages, etc...No problems since with fuses blowing, so I'm not sure what it was.

The Seduction does not do well with my 12B4 amp, but I have not experimented with different IC's, carts, etc... yet, but I'm sure it is just a combination of things at this point and can be corrected more to my liking.

Re: Seduction done! [message #9869 is a reply to message #9865] Fri, 15 December 2006 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I really do like the paint job you did on the top plate. What kind of paint did you use?

Dupli-color [message #9872 is a reply to message #9869] Sat, 16 December 2006 10:14 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Just that $3 a can duplicolor stuff from the local auto parts store. It was metallic garnet I think. I just sanded the plate real lightly to take any obvious gunk off, wiped it down with acetone a couple of times, shot primer, color, and clearcoat just like the can says. I put too many coats of color on and didn't let it cure long enough (my first time messing with auto paint...doh), thus the brass washers under all the screws to hide the little "rings" where I tried to mount the screws too early.

I have no idea how long it will stick on the aluminum plate, but I like the tubes in it at this point and see no need to tube roll yet. So I'm not flexing the top plate at all plugging and unplugging stuff. I try to be vary careful and not flex it when I've swapped IC's and such. Just leave it alone if it's working fine I say.

Previous Topic: 6Ah4 Amp
Next Topic: Where to look for A Twin-Coupled tube amp--kit or custom
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:42:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout