Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » How long do EH ff 300b's last
How long do EH ff 300b's last [message #9687] Thu, 08 June 2006 12:16 Go to next message
Tre' is currently offline  Tre'
Baron
I have a set of 4 300b's that I have been running at 355volts @72ma. for 6 months now. They sound great and still test new. How long will they last.

Thnaks...Tre'

sorry, that's gg (gold grids) [message #9688 is a reply to message #9687] Thu, 08 June 2006 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tre' is currently offline  Tre'
Baron

Re: sorry, that's gg (gold grids) [message #9689 is a reply to message #9688] Sat, 10 June 2006 23:48 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Barring catastrophic failures like filament breakage or shorts, a decent 300B should last several years. By design, type 300B is a long life tube. Even the cheaper Russian or Chinese 300Bs should outlast most indirectly heated octal power tubes by at least a factor of two, at minimum.

According to everything I've studied about DHTs, your EH 300Bs are probably just now hitting full cathode activation, where they have reached their full emissions potential. Different manufacturers dope their cathodes differently. Some apply an oxide doping formula that allows the tube to reach it's full emissions potential quickly, at the expense of some absolute lifespan. Others may formulate the cathode coating to give maximum lifespan, at the expense of reaching full potential more slowly.

Eric B. is the ultimate authority on stuff like this. He's mighty busy and isn't seen much around these parts, but perhaps he'll see this and chime in, or maybe someone else with a definitive answer.

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Its been a while!
Next Topic: Can Someone suggest a good book on S.E.T.'s.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:10:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio