Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Transformer specs
On the other hand... [message #9368 is a reply to message #9360] Sun, 27 November 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2wo is currently offline  2wo
Baron
I took a look at the schematic you linked and you may be able to run say four 6L6’s.

This will depend on a couple things. First are you planing to try to use the existing output transformers?

A push pull, pair of 6V6 is usually used with transformer input impedance of about 10K or so. With parallel
6v6’s it is probably 5k or so.

Another thing this is actually two amps and this is low end so how this transformer will work full range is an open question.

Let’s start with that…John

Re: On the other hand... [message #9377 is a reply to message #9368] Mon, 28 November 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tickfawriver is currently offline  Tickfawriver
Esquire
The output transformers look great to me, large and heavy, if you like I can post a picture. This very fact is why I want to build this amp, I want to put the ot's to good use. I think the pt may be 250ma, remember this was a replacement and it is larger than the pt in the first chassis that I bought. Right now I am can't decide between a pair of 6v6's or tuned down 6L6's and like you mentioned the ot's will probably match up better with the 6L6's. Sooo many possibilities.

Re: On the other hand... [message #9384 is a reply to message #9377] Tue, 29 November 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tickfawriver is currently offline  Tickfawriver
Esquire
I found a free program that will give an estimate of the current handleing capabilities of a transformer based on the output voltages and the resistance of the windings. I included a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Programs.html

Re: On the other hand... [message #9391 is a reply to message #9384] Fri, 02 December 2005 20:55 Go to previous message
2wo is currently offline  2wo
Baron
Well, OK then. Go with the 6L6.

The fact that they felt the need to run 2! 5U4’s , leads me to believe that the PS can supply > 200ma of b+

The only question is how much filament power is available. The filament string shown, will draw a bit less then 3A, but it continues off to power SK2-Sk3. So there is as a guess at least 1A more to be had.

I think it’s doable, with a little caution.

Before you start , try running the stage mono full range to get a feel for the output transformer. Lift the .022 cap from the 15K resistor and feed your signal there…John

Previous Topic: Some questions on Power supplies
Next Topic: Say Douglas; Hows the Mods coming along?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:22:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio