Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Dressing up DIY projects
How much of an investment? [message #9324 is a reply to message #9323] Tue, 08 November 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
How much in start-up funds are you needing?

This is one of the things I wanted to talk to you about. Yeah, I know I still owe you a phone call. Things around the house are starting to settle down. We have one more condo to punch out, and we'll be done for the year - hopefully......Colin

Re: I agree... [message #9325 is a reply to message #9323] Tue, 08 November 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats true but say we look at it this way; how many of us have a scope and are experienced enough to use it? The possibility of driving the amp into oscillation is very real with the CCS; more so than with a resistor load, is that correct?
Also you should not have to build a business; unless of course you want to, but there should be someway to have the design etched for each individual as they choose.
The etched design would be applicable to more than one circuit is that right?

Re: I agree... [message #9326 is a reply to message #9325] Tue, 08 November 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well now...having the amp oscillate from a CCS is an interesting prospect. If the CCS does not oscillate( and that's easy enough ), it is certainly not going to cause the amp to oscillate because there is a CCS instead of a resistor where I am using them.

So, what am I using CCS-es for? Voltage references. With Ohm's Law, and a stable resistance I am creating variable voltages( by varying the R, or stable voltages by *NOT* varying either R or 'i'. In the tail load of the Schmitt inverter, an infinite R( and V for it to work across ) makes the AC balance nearly perfect.

The heater-cathode capacitance provides a substantial bypass and likely is the contributing factor in the AC imbalance at HF. This can be transferred to primary-secondary coupling for the case of DH valves. There will always be a leakage path. Make it small compared to the stuff which does matter and the imbalance will be hard to measure.

Building a CCS which does not oscillate is fairly easy, and a building-block CCS which does not cause trouble has been built by a few of you with Guinevere.

The dual CCS and upper element parts of the cascode layout may take a bit. I'll draw it by hand and see if somebody can masage it to a point where it can be done on a proper Cu/TFE PCB( complete with thru-holes for mounting the bits! ).

I may decide to act as consultant to somebody who wishes to start a business. That is the sort of thing I wind up doing anyway, no sense trying to get paid for it...:) I like sharing the audio magic I happen to discover. Not that the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition would prohibit a bit of Profit.

http://www.dmwright.com/html/ferengi.htm

I especially like 11, 12 and 27. 57 is eternal.

The CCS-based circuitry for Merlin ought to be done with a PCB. Upon further investigation, there are two folks who are in on the current OPTx buy who have experience with PCB printing. I will investigate and see if we can get a run made, or if the artwork can be made public. Let me make a call or two and see what I can turn up. I would like a few of them myself for that matter. Plan on 5W Mills WW plate loads and one more thing can be incorporated into a simple board...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Re: I agree... [message #9327 is a reply to message #9326] Tue, 08 November 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Maybe you could charge by the hour for consulting on troubleshooting or something? Just kidding; just so you know it's appreciated.
I have to go read that link now.
Thanks again.

what's your favourite? [message #9328 is a reply to message #9327] Tue, 08 November 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
44 is right there: Never confuse wisdom with luck.

8 is a good warning to remember: Small print leads to large risk.

cheers,
Douglas

Re: what's your favourite? [message #9329 is a reply to message #9328] Tue, 08 November 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Here's my list:
48/49 The bigger the smile; the sharper the knife
190 hear all trust nothing
217 you can't free a fish from water
285 no good deed ever goes unpunished

Re: Dressing up DIY projects [message #9330 is a reply to message #9313] Wed, 09 November 2005 16:18 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Thanks! They also have some drill bits for cutting out tube sockets. They have some nice stuff to be sure. Shipping will be a bit steep to the USA me thinks. These tube socket covers look very professional. To go one step further I might have the two drilled aluminum top chassis plates and these socket covers cermachromed. There is a company that put on the cermachrome coating on my headers and my intake for my mustang. It really looks like a real chrome finish, but is also great for reducing heat in a engine. I bet it might also help reduce some of the heat that will be generated from my 300b mono blocks. Now that I just scrounged my two vintage Triad R-21A power transformers I should have all of the iron to start building the amps over this coming winter at long last. John

Previous Topic: just in case you think 'going too far' is possible...
Next Topic: Ned Carlson's new job!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:25:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout