Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Plate Choke Miller Capacitance
Plate Choke Miller Capacitance [message #9030] Fri, 10 June 2005 14:59 Go to next message
moray james is currently offline  moray james
Baron
Is there a practicle way to reduce or eliminate the miller capacitance of a plate choke? I ask as I am wanting to use a plate choke to filter the output of a high voltage supply for an electrostatic loudspeaker. It has been suggested that the stator insulation of an ESL can store enough charge to modulate the resistively coated diaphragm. This then can couple back to the high voltage supply. So the choke has been suggested as a fix to this concern and found to be effective. The choke recommended is a ten H choke with six chambers to reduce miller capacitance. These chokes are expensive. I am wondering if there is a way to use an inexpensive choke and somehow neutralize the internal miller capacitance? Any suggestions help or advice would be welcome. Best regards Moray James.

uhhh... [message #9031 is a reply to message #9030] Sat, 11 June 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There is no Miller effct on the capacitance in a choke. the shunt capacitance can be addressed by wind methods. neutralizing it is probably going to be a fewquency speicfic job, and the audio passband is a bit large for that sort of thing.
regards,
Douglas

Re: uhhh... [message #9033 is a reply to message #9031] Sat, 11 June 2005 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moray james is currently offline  moray james
Baron
Douglas: thanks for your respones. You are right as I used an incorrect term which is used in connection to amplifiers. I think that the agreed upon minimum that can be expected with respect to interwinding capacitance in a choke of this size (10 H) is about 30pf. I believe that capacitive filtering and snubbers should deal with all the concerns of this high voltage supply. That said the choke may well be doing something and it needs to be investigated. I have a set of 7 H chokes and assorted other parts and plan to compare and listen to the results. Will post what I find. Best regards Moray James.

Re: uhhh... [message #9036 is a reply to message #9033] Fri, 17 June 2005 14:22 Go to previous message
Triode_Kingdom is currently offline  Triode_Kingdom
Chancellor
This problem exists in RF amplifiers, also. Anode chokes must be wound in sections, and/or make use of special winding techniques, in order to avoid destructive self-resonances within the passband. You might try placing a number of smaller chokes in series, say five 2H chokes, or ten 1H chokes (or some combination of the two). In any event, you'll need to measure the self-resonant fequency of the string before using it.

Previous Topic: Stand alone stereo tone controls anyone?
Next Topic: This amp still available; amazing!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:37:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio