Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond?
Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond? [message #8919] Tue, 19 April 2005 21:12 Go to next message
AD5GB is currently offline  AD5GB
Esquire
Anyone got any comments on the comparison? I got a great quote for a 300W P-P OPT from Heyboer. I can't help but feel a bit skeptical tho'
since life has taught me that you tend to "get what you pay for".

Anyway... thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Re: Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond? [message #8921 is a reply to message #8919] Wed, 20 April 2005 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would say that it would depend on what the design is. I got those guys to unwind a Peerless 20-20 of the 40W/10k a-a flavour( the S-265-Q ) and copies are ~$140 or so with better materials. It is *NOT* a very simple wind though.

What is the impedance ratio? is it a plate-voice coil or something else?

Also what did you ask for? I got a moderately priced quote on a similar wattage ( ~10 square inches of core area ) which seemed quite reasonable. I have since learned a bit more and am designing something a bit different for that same project.

Bottom line is that you get what you specify, so make sure you specify exactly what you want. Lots of drawings and redudundancy of the descriptions and call-outs on special details.

they have made lots of stuff for me, and at least one OEM I am aware of. I don't look anywhere else.
regards,
Douglas

Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond? [message #8922 is a reply to message #8921] Thu, 21 April 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hey Doug,

What I asked for was basically a clone of the 'big' Hammond P-P OPT.
1.9K primary, 4,8 and 16 ohm secondary, 280 watt capability, UL taps,
and 28 pounds worth of iron and copper. They quoted a fantastic
price for the unit. Since I'm not a transformer expert by any means,
I have nothing to go by other than the 'rules-of-thumb' passed down to
me by my ham radio mentors. Further, the book I'm trying to locate on
the subject seems to have become forever elusive and more expensive than
the audio iron itself.

They also quoted me an outstanding price for a power XFMR for a variable voltage (2.5KV-4KV) supply for my amateur radio amp projects.
What is a bit disturbing about that is that they said the weight
would be around 30#, which seems a bit light for a 3.2KVA power
transformer to me.

Since I've not been able to turn up even one negative comment while
Googling for Heyboer, ( just a whole bunch of satisfied customers )
I'll probably give 'em a shot. Wish I knew more about audio iron
so I knew more about what to ask for.

Kind regards!

Re: Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond? [message #8923 is a reply to message #8922] Fri, 22 April 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey_Hey!!!,
The big power Iron does seem a bit light from an audio POV. Speak to Phil or Alden and have them take a good look at it and your filter deseign to make sure you'll get what you need at the DC end.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond? [message #8924 is a reply to message #8919] Fri, 22 April 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi AD5GB,
Do you have a website that has information about the Heyboer out put transformers?
Norris

Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond? [message #8925 is a reply to message #8924] Fri, 22 April 2005 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Greetings,

I've just gone to their website ( http://www.heyboertransformers.com ) and contacted them via the email links provided there.

Regards

Thanks (nt) [message #8926 is a reply to message #8925] Sat, 23 April 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
nt

Heyboer OPTx capabilities... [message #8927 is a reply to message #8924] Sat, 23 April 2005 14:50 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
your best bet is to ask about a specific design you'd like them to make( like a Dynaco A-451 or Peerless S-265-Q or...). Or to ask for a design for a specific purpose, Hi-Fi or Guitar or _____.

There are a bunch of their guitar amp OPTx's listed ont he website but nearly none of the old Hi-Fi. They also do new design work. They might also have a custom propriatary wind which can be wound with permission.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Still bewildered by it all!
Next Topic: Decware SE34-I
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:39:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout