Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Poor Ella, the unwanted Amp
Poor Ella, the unwanted Amp [message #8728] Sat, 22 January 2005 11:12 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There have been 2 for sale on Audiogon for awhile. One debuted at over $900 and is modded to the max. But it's like putting $100,000 in remodel to a $60,000 house on a street of $60,000 houses.
The other is $600 which is less than the delivered price of the kit with tubes.
Unless they're Bottlehead or Wellborne amp kits are a tough sell. But the so-so lower end of the Antique line sells immediately as does out and out junk like some un-named other far-eastern amps.
I can't see parting with mine; lot's of mods yet to be done and Push-Pull is way under-rated. Maybe if it was called 'double-ended'.....?

Re: Poor Ella, the unwanted Amp [message #8729 is a reply to message #8728] Sat, 22 January 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's really odd. Stanley Chu (when still alive) and Brian Cherry are real class acts with great products.

Re: Poor Ella, the unwanted Amp [message #8730 is a reply to message #8728] Sat, 22 January 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Bill,

I'm assuming these were kits built by the owners? If so, I'd think reluctance to purchase would be understandable since you don't know the skills of the assemblers.

e

Re: Poor Ella, the unwanted Amp [message #8731 is a reply to message #8728] Sat, 22 January 2005 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
don't even think of that double-ended BS. have you been talking to sheep-Jute, a.k.a cheap-Jack?

PP is underrated by some. PP was traditionally built under the squeeze out the watts pressure. SE came back when highest attention to quality was being paid the circuit design and parts selection. This and a few other things went to establish SE as the way to do things if you wanted the 'Best'. there is an underlying 'the grapes were sour' sort of attitude towards power from this group which makes me smile when speakers of less than 100dB 1W 1m are brought to a big listening event....

I stand with the PP gang. A bunch of folks who have heard some of my stuff might be moving in that direction as well.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Poor Ella, the unwanted Amp [message #8739 is a reply to message #8728] Mon, 24 January 2005 06:03 Go to previous message
TubeCraft is currently offline  TubeCraft
Baron
If they're already built (and/or modded), doesn't that take a lot of of the fun out of it? ;>)

"Double-ended"? ain't that a class B PP amp? Just kidding...

Previous Topic: How does an tube amplifier works?
Next Topic: replacement tubes/tweaking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:27:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout