Home » Audio » General » Worst acoustics in a venue?
Worst acoustics in a venue? [message #85240] Wed, 24 May 2017 02:56 Go to next message
Hylo
Baron
Some venues just have lousy acoustics. Worst I've heard was a 1950's building used for musical performances with a polished wood block floor, and these decorative polished plywood hole-covered panels floor to ceiling...which were slightly loose and vibrated with the bass, or loud noise (or traffic outside). Really set my teeth on edge. It sounded like listening to music in a swimming pool with someone shaking clackers in my ear.

What's the worst acoustics you've had to put up with in a venue?
Re: Worst acoustics in a venue? [message #85243 is a reply to message #85240] Wed, 24 May 2017 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Tulsa's new "BOK Center" is horrible. It has hard reflective walls on all sides, and its shape makes the angle of reflection of all surfaces aim back towards the audience.

Re: Worst acoustics in a venue? [message #85256 is a reply to message #85240] Fri, 26 May 2017 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jadex is currently offline  Jadex
Esquire
I guess most people who go to these places don't mind that it's not always perfect but it's more about being in that live atmosphere even if the sound might be a little distorted.
Re: Worst acoustics in a venue? [message #85275 is a reply to message #85256] Tue, 30 May 2017 00:47 Go to previous message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
I remember the presentation hall where they carefully lined all surfaces with sound absorbent material to keep total control of the acoustics, and then fitted speakers that must have fallen off a truck somewhere. You could hardly hear the person next to you, and even with a microphone the person on stage was barely audible past the first five rows.

It was the only hall for a really long way so it got all the school presentations, and the owners didn't see any reason to improve it since they still got paid.
Previous Topic: App to Customise sounds for the environment?
Next Topic: Format Obsolence?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:02:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout