Home » Audio » Measurement » Best music for testing speakers?
Best music for testing speakers? [message #84678] Mon, 06 March 2017 16:13 Go to next message
Cortney  is currently offline Cortney
Viscount
Is there some music that is better than others when you're testing speakers? If there is, what is it and why would you consider it better?
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #84681 is a reply to message #84678 ] Mon, 06 March 2017 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham  is currently offline Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The best way to test speakers is with test equipment that uses a test signal. Some test signals are sequences that sound like noise, some are actual noise and some are sine waves and swept sines.

But I think you're looking for an informal "seat of your pants" test. In that case, use material you are familiar with so you already know what to expect.

Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #85175 is a reply to message #84678 ] Tue, 09 May 2017 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy  is currently offline cwemoy
Master
I'd never thought of a certain genre of music as an elaborate way of testing speakers. Like Wayne asserts, it is best to use equipment that use test signals.

Now that you've mentioned it, hip hop would probably bring out your speaker's bass.
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #85183 is a reply to message #85175 ] Tue, 09 May 2017 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99  is currently offline gofar99
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi, I'm with Wayne sort of. I use a computer with calibrated mic and octave analyzer. Feeding in pink noise (the program can cancel out existing ambient noise) and looking at the display. That gets the overall balance right and eliminates large nulls and peaks. Then critically listening to music I and familiar with. Usually several types. Some vocals, some just instruments and several different genres. This part can tell if the presentation spatially is good. The PC can't tell you too much about that and while the display might be flat from a power perspective it might be way off on reflections.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Best music for testing speakers? [message #85189 is a reply to message #85183 ] Wed, 10 May 2017 15:19 Go to previous message
drake  is currently offline drake
Master
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 09 May 2017 21:59
Hi, I'm with Wayne sort of. I use a computer with calibrated mic and octave analyzer. Feeding in pink noise (the program can cancel out existing ambient noise) and looking at the display. That gets the overall balance right and eliminates large nulls and peaks. Then critically listening to music I and familiar with. Usually several types. Some vocals, some just instruments and several different genres. This part can tell if the presentation spatially is good. The PC can't tell you too much about that and while the display might be flat from a power perspective it might be way off on reflections.

This sounds quite complicated but I suppose this is one of those things that we all need to learn somehow. A lot of people are only content with any sound that emanates from an audio equipment. There's a great need to ensure that proper testing is done.
Previous Topic:The best apps to measure noise levels
Next Topic:Sound distortion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 10:18:32 CST 2017

Sponsoring Organizations

AudioKinesis
AudioKinesis
BOI Audioworks
BOI Audioworks
BuildAnAmp.com
BuildAnAmp.com
Crescendo Systems