Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » How to find the acoustic sweet spot in a room
How to find the acoustic sweet spot in a room [message #84655] Thu, 02 March 2017 14:22 Go to next message
Lark is currently offline  Lark
Baron
I was watching an old episode of Big Bang the other day and it was so funny to watch Sheldon going around the movie theater trying to find the acoustic 'sweet spot' but then it got me thinking - Do normal rooms have those?
Re: How to find the acoustic sweet spot in a room [message #84892 is a reply to message #84655] Wed, 05 April 2017 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
It isn't so much rooms that have it, than anywhere with a speaker set-up. The sweet spot is just the focal point between the speakers, usually a pair, sometimes a whole set up.

There are some people using computers to make the sweet spot move with the listener. It would have driven Sheldon nuts!
Re: How to find the acoustic sweet spot in a room [message #84979 is a reply to message #84655] Tue, 11 April 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
You actually made me miss Sheldon Cooper. Finding that sweet spot is normally challenge for most of us. Luckily for me, our youngest sibling runs a recording studio and we let him fix all those issues around the house.
Re: How to find the acoustic sweet spot in a room [message #84981 is a reply to message #84979] Tue, 11 April 2017 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Study the concept of uniform directivity. Loudspeakers that are able to radiate a pattern that has constant directivity make a much larger "sweet spot." If you have speakers that radiate a pattern with uniform directivity, and if you have them setup properly, you can achieve the same quality sound throughout a large area of the room.
Re: How to find the acoustic sweet spot in a room [message #84998 is a reply to message #84655] Mon, 17 April 2017 19:02 Go to previous message
Vernon is currently offline  Vernon
Baron
I will definitely try to learn more about uniform directivity. This could be the answer I'm looking for when it comes to having uniform quality of sound throughout the room.
Previous Topic: Room size effect
Next Topic: Popular myths
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:28:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout