Home » Audio » General » Setting up outside
Setting up outside [message #84822] Sun, 26 March 2017 16:07 Go to next message
chatzy02 is currently offline  chatzy02
Baron
I am having a small party for my son, and he wants to have it outside in the garden. Is there a particular way that you can set up speakers so that you get better sound quality outside?
Re: Setting up outside [message #84824 is a reply to message #84822] Sun, 26 March 2017 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Other folks may have some different ideas but here is what works best for me. I place the speakers as close to a wall and at ground level as I can. The wall and ground will cut down the volume the speakers have to work into. This makes a big difference in the bass sound level. Other than that not too much seems to matter. You will also find that generally the amount of power you need to get the sound level you want to be much higher than when inside the building. The lack of confinement is the reason. Be aware that because of the greater power your amp may not be up to the job and distort or if you have speakers that can't handle the power you can damage them. If you hear any sort of distortion then you had best cut the volume down.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Setting up outside [message #84826 is a reply to message #84824] Mon, 27 March 2017 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
That's right.......no loud parties young man...be considerate of others. Cool

He's right though, up against walls and as close to the floor, or on the floor, as you can. Personally, I like to find an open window or windows to let the speakers "sound through".
Re: Setting up outside [message #84830 is a reply to message #84824] Mon, 27 March 2017 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bruce and Csharp are right. Placing speakers near a boundary decreases the radiating angle they must energize, so that helps increase SPL. Also, if you have more than one loudspeaker, e.g. mains and subs, then group them together. Other than that, setting up outdoors is the best place because there are no wall reflections.

Re: Setting up outside [message #84851 is a reply to message #84822] Wed, 29 March 2017 14:51 Go to previous message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
This thread has come in handy for me as well. I've often wondered how to make my speakers sound better outside, and it's great to know what to do next time I have a party outside.
Previous Topic: How much have you spent?
Next Topic: Installing speakers in the bathroom
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:11:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout