Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Odd-shaped rooms?
Odd-shaped rooms? [message #84476] Fri, 03 February 2017 06:22 Go to next message
Hylo
Baron
I've been asked to help with a speaker layout for a lounge in a 1920's house with a high ceiling, and an odd shape. There's a step in one side so half the room is narrower than the other. I was pretty going to attack it with trial, error, and duct tape, but thought I'd ask here for tips or advice on wiring up really weird shaped rooms! Help?
Re: Odd-shaped rooms? [message #84480 is a reply to message #84476] Fri, 03 February 2017 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Odd shapes and high ceilings are good things acoustically.

They may be difficult to layout though.

Re: Odd-shaped rooms? [message #84498 is a reply to message #84480] Mon, 06 February 2017 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Trial and error can work...if you have a lot of patience. I find using a program like TrueRTA and a calibrated mic a lot easier. Using a laptop and the mic and program you can get good results. The combo provides a spectrum analysis display. It provides the noise signal needed and nicely (IMO) will do a relative level that compensates for existing room noise. I have been surprised at where the speakers actually end up. Often not symmetrical and they may be angled or tilted to get the best sound stage and overall response. A word of caution though...the programs I know of can be fooled by high levels of reflected sound. Most programs seem to go for total amplitude and not care if the mix is both reflected and direct. It will end up with a really wacky set of locations that just looking at them will tell you they are not right. If you are aware that this can happen it is not a problem.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Odd-shaped rooms? [message #84554 is a reply to message #84498] Sat, 11 February 2017 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
Thanks. It looks like TrueRTA is free, which is the best price, so I'll be having a play with that tomorrow and seeing if it helps. Are there any other tools you can suggest?
Re: Odd-shaped rooms? [message #84558 is a reply to message #84554] Sat, 11 February 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

CARA

Re: Odd-shaped rooms? [message #84639 is a reply to message #84558] Sun, 26 February 2017 15:58 Go to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Odd-shaped rooms really stress me out. There was this apartment I once lived in and it took me quite some time to figure out how to get the best out of it. I eventually moved out and wouldn't want such an experience ever again.
Previous Topic: Low ceiling
Next Topic: Popcorn ceiling?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:42:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout