Home » Audio » General » No sound on laptop
No sound on laptop [message #84464] Tue, 31 January 2017 15:16 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I have been scratching over what would really appear simple to other people. My laptop only produces sound when I connect it to the TV via a HDMI cable. What do I need to do to fix this?
Re: No sound on laptop [message #84465 is a reply to message #84464] Tue, 31 January 2017 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Depending on the laptop it is probably a setting. On mine (a Toshiba) if you click on the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen it will bring up a menu that shows what device (speaker, phones etc) is being used. Just select the one you want. Alternatively you may have muted the speaker, just click the icon to undo it. Other posibilities are found in the settings section of the control panel. There are too many variations from brand to brand to give you definitve guidance there. If you tell us what model it is maybe we can help more.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: No sound on laptop [message #84512 is a reply to message #84464] Wed, 08 February 2017 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
First check that it isn't muted. There might be a sound icon at the bottom, and if you click on that it will show what the sound level is. If it isn't muted, have you tried external USB speakers? If USB and HDMI work then you might have a problem with your onboard speakers. If you can, use windows update or something similar to update the sound drivers in case there's a software error.

If all of that fails, then take it to the shop!
Re: No sound on laptop [message #84513 is a reply to message #84512] Wed, 08 February 2017 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
vhfspeeks wrote on Wed, 08 February 2017 07:20
First check that it isn't muted. There might be a sound icon at the bottom, and if you click on that it will show what the sound level is. If it isn't muted, have you tried external USB speakers? If USB and HDMI work then you might have a problem with your onboard speakers. If you can, use windows update or something similar to update the sound drivers in case there's a software error.

If all of that fails, then take it to the shop!

I once had a laptop that could only produce sound when it was connected to an external speaker. It took me close to a month to figure out that it was a small issue with the settings.
Re: No sound on laptop [message #84633 is a reply to message #84464] Fri, 24 February 2017 18:31 Go to previous message
Lark is currently offline  Lark
Baron
Thanks everyone for the detailed explanations. I've been having the same problem and this saves me having to hunt around for answers.
Previous Topic: Long Term Investment?
Next Topic: Using your phone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:26:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout