Home » Audio » General » Telephone Voice vs. In Person
Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #73380] Wed, 25 July 2012 09:39 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I talked to my 2 year old on the phone the other day for the first time ever (she's usually with me) and it was so strange. Her voice sounded completely different on the phone; it was much lower in pitch.

Have you ever been shocked at how different someone sounds on the phone compared to in person?
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #73383 is a reply to message #73380] Wed, 25 July 2012 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
Definitely! I have always wondered why it happened to. Have you ever noticed that sometimes it makes some people have a higher voice rather than a lower voice? I wonder what makes that happen?
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #73388 is a reply to message #73380] Thu, 26 July 2012 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
I have noticed that before, and I would guess that it has something to do with sound waves, or for cell phones perhaps radio frequency.
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #73505 is a reply to message #73380] Mon, 06 August 2012 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockhaven is currently offline  Rockhaven
Chancellor
Yes, I have. Though, I must say that most people have a different talking voice on the telephone than in person anyways. I know that I definitely sound different on the telephone rather than in person, and it is usually intentional. As for mechanics, perhaps it has to do with the quality of the phone and the receiver?
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #73506 is a reply to message #73505] Mon, 06 August 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Rockhaven wrote on Mon, 06 August 2012 11:47
Yes, I have. Though, I must say that most people have a different talking voice on the telephone than in person anyways. I know that I definitely sound different on the telephone rather than in person, and it is usually intentional. As for mechanics, perhaps it has to do with the quality of the phone and the receiver?

What do you do to sound different on the phone and why? I only alter the way I speak if I need to sound more "professional" or it's a clarity issue.

The timbre and pitch of my voice naturally sounds different than in person though.
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #73539 is a reply to message #73506] Wed, 08 August 2012 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockhaven is currently offline  Rockhaven
Chancellor
I honestly don't know why I sound different. When talking with friends, I think it is because I want to create a different persona that I can't quite achieve in person. Otherwise, I also have a different telephone speaking voice in order to sound professional when the time calls for it.
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #84389 is a reply to message #73380] Mon, 23 January 2017 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
If there is a way of recording a conversation and then playing it back with the person right next to you, that would be a good way to compare voices.

You would think that phones these days would have a setting that allows you to change the pitch of the voice of someone you are talking to.
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #84392 is a reply to message #73380] Mon, 23 January 2017 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
I've always noticed that I unintentionally change my voice when I'm on the phone, especially when I'm talking business and I think that a lot of other people do it too. It's probably so that we sound more professional I guess.
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #84393 is a reply to message #73380] Mon, 23 January 2017 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
I think it's quite interesting the way phones and voice recorders make us sound different from what we actuall sound like, but I like it. I always sound so much better over the phone or when I record myself talking.
Re: Telephone Voice vs. In Person [message #84405 is a reply to message #73380] Wed, 25 January 2017 11:40 Go to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I have never been keen to notice if there's normally a difference but of course there's normally a variance in pitch. What's the cause of this?
Previous Topic: Mozart Is The King
Next Topic: Funny audio gaffs and mess-ups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:30:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout