Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl or CD, which is better?
Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #83138] Sat, 30 July 2016 23:25 Go to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
I came across a discussion here that was drawing comparisons between a vinyl and CD. Apparently, vinyl is better than CD in more than one ways. I was shocked after reading the whole thing. Do you agree?
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #83201 is a reply to message #83138] Wed, 03 August 2016 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I could ask in turn ...is this a trick question? Both are excellent in different ways. I prefer vinyl, but also have an extensive collection of CDs. CDs are quieter (not so much so that it really matters compared to a good vinyl play back system). CDs are consistent. If it sounded good today it will sound the same tomorrow. They are more durable. Vinyl tends to seem (IMO) to have a more natural sound. I find that CDs tend to be less relaxing to listen to (YMMV). The obvious question is...the player I use sub standard? No one would ever define an OPPO SE that way.

Now the second question that was not asked is ...is digital superior to analog? IMO yes. The current hi-res digital (not CD) recordings are probably the best recordings ever made. I suspect that they will be the music of the future. However there is a lot of material on vinyl that will never be moved to digital and if it is....it will have the limitations of the original analog system. So in general...I figure that everyone should listen to what they like on the medium they like and not worry much about the format. Cool

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #83226 is a reply to message #83201] Thu, 04 August 2016 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you Bruce, 100%. I have some excellent quality vinyl that sounds wonderful. Particularly the half-speed masters. But the BluRay audio I have definitely gives it competition. And since the BluRays are so consistent and durable, I like them better. Not to mention they include video content as well. Smile

Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #84185 is a reply to message #83226] Mon, 26 December 2016 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Odie is currently offline  Odie
Chancellor
Ditto to all of the above. Sound quality plus preference. Also, I think about the logistics of vinyl vs. CDs. Storage space and convenience of travel make CDs the preferred medium in many cases.
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #84358 is a reply to message #83138] Thu, 19 January 2017 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
I love vinyl for the sound and some of the extras they threw onto records when they were trying to sell more, like split grooves. However while I prefer the sound, there is no doubt that CDs and MP3s are easier to manage, store, and listen to. One scratch on a record and listening to it requires making a digital version and a hefty cleanup job, but then I have had a couple of CDs shatter and the tracks on them are gone for good.
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #85805 is a reply to message #83138] Sun, 06 August 2017 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keven is currently offline  Keven
Baron
This is a matter opinion, though both sides of the argument bring up very valid points. I personally think that CDs are better but that's because I have more experience with them than vinyl.
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #85818 is a reply to message #83138] Sun, 06 August 2017 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Great discussions here but then my question would be, are CDs more durable in comparison to vinyl? I wouldn't think so. As Bruce mentions, audio enthusiasts should worry (too much) about the format; most people have never set their eyes on a vinyl record.
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #86165 is a reply to message #83138] Wed, 20 September 2017 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frankie is currently offline  Frankie
Chancellor
This is such a tough call because they are both awesome in their own ways. I think vinyls are really cool, retro and sound great. They're definitely more durable. However, there's just no comparison when it comes to which one is more convenient. I really enjoyed reading that article!

mamoss, I don't really think they're more durable than vinyl.
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #86310 is a reply to message #83138] Thu, 12 October 2017 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
This whole discussion got me thinking about the challenges faced when trying to convert vinyl to mp3. Some quality is definitely lost, right? This is a tricky question, considering that they both have their strong points. We cant completely throw away anything's that's analog, right?
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #86317 is a reply to message #86310] Thu, 12 October 2017 17:37 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The question of durability is uncertain. CDs and DVDs are less sensitive to physical damage but there are some concerns that the substrate they use for the data might not last. I can't verify that as all my earliest CDs play just fine. Even burned one are fine. So that aspect may not be factual. LPs however can be damaged in several ways. Dropped and cracked, warped by heat and the obvious one...scratched. Even playing them on marginal turntables or with worn stylus can damage them. Care is essential for their longevity. That said I have several that are over 50 years old and they are just fine. I do take care in their playing (cleaning is good too but an entirely different topic) and my equipment is very high quality. It is hard to define durability from a sound basis. In theory a digital recording will play the same forever. LPs do exhibit some wear, but with good gear it is very minimal and thousands of plays without significant degradation are possible. Generally I find a much bigger issue in how well the recording was made, mastered and produced. Great music poorly recorded etc will sound bad no matter what the medium. Great music well recorded etc and played on low fi gear will sound low-fi.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Converting vinyl
Next Topic: The New Stereo System for Music.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:52:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio