Home » Audio » Home Theater » Are Home Theaters Dwindling?
Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #78443] Sun, 24 November 2013 17:00 Go to next message
Nico is currently offline  Nico
Chancellor
It used to be everyone I talked to was into setting up a home theater system in their homes. Now very few people I know have a home theater set up. Have you notice a decline in popularity of home theater systems among people you know?
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #78444 is a reply to message #78443] Sun, 24 November 2013 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would say purpose-built home theater rooms in homes are definitely on the rise. In fact, I'd say it's becoming one of the most popular large-scale home-improvement "upgrades", right up there with built-in swimming pools.

Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #78513 is a reply to message #78443] Mon, 02 December 2013 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't know people with enough money to dedicate an entire room to a home theater. Most people I know content themselves with a system in their living room.
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #78526 is a reply to message #78513] Mon, 02 December 2013 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nico is currently offline  Nico
Chancellor
I guess that must be my problem. I just don't know the right people. I have always thought it would be great to have a room dedicated to home theater but right now I'm still in an apartment.
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #78600 is a reply to message #78526] Tue, 10 December 2013 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rhonda is currently offline  Rhonda
Chancellor
We recently moved to the country and there were two barns. One was a full-sized barn and one was similar in size to a small tack house or supply shed. My husband is already talking about converting the smaller one into a home theater entertainment room.
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #81950 is a reply to message #78443] Thu, 04 February 2016 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicWife
Esquire
We're in the process of having a house built with a dedicated home theater. We looked at so many plans before deciding on the one we actually wanted, and every single plan had the option for a home theater room. The builders we talked to (4), said that's one of the most popular options people add when building a new house. I know several of my friends have home theaters in their houses, and we really like them. Of course we will still have a TV in the family room, but the system in there will be much higher quality, and be far better for watching movies. Most of the time, in our current house, I'm content to watch shows in the family room, but my husband and kids like to watch stuff in the basement rec room, which has a bigger TV. They also like a lot of movies I don't (if something doesn't blow up, they don't want to watch), so this works just fine. Once we have the home theater, in the new house, I'll likely watch more movies there. My teenagers are lobbying for a real, movie theater style, popcorn machine, since we'll have our own 'theater,' but hubs, and I aren't going for that. Very Happy
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #81953 is a reply to message #78443] Thu, 04 February 2016 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Nico wrote on Sun, 24 November 2013 17:00
It used to be everyone I talked to was into setting up a home theater system in their homes. Now very few people I know have a home theater set up. Have you notice a decline in popularity of home theater systems among people you know?

I haven't noticed this decline, but many of my friends are not audio aficionados to begin with. Within my family it's a different story, though, and we all still have component systems in our homes. Very Happy
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #82534 is a reply to message #81953] Fri, 29 April 2016 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugster is currently offline  Bugster
Chancellor
If you have the cash to buy a big enough property, or to build your own then I'd say a home theater would still be popular. It would pay for itself in a year or two of you are really into movies or have a family who are.

Having said that, if building a dedicated room takes away anything from the saleability of the property I would stay well away from it.
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #83236 is a reply to message #78443] Thu, 04 August 2016 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I haven't noticed this amongst my friends but perhaps back then people were buying them because it was the 'in-thing.' I still live in an apartment but I think when I get my own home, a custom-built home theater system will definitely be fitted.
Re: Are Home Theaters Dwindling? [message #84213 is a reply to message #83236] Thu, 29 December 2016 08:03 Go to previous message
Kenzie is currently offline  Kenzie
Chancellor
I would love to have an in home theater. We spend a lot of time watching TV due to health reasons and to have a dedicated room for a theater would be heaven. I don't see them decreasing in popularity.
Previous Topic: Cleaning your home theater
Next Topic: VHS to DVD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:34:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout