Home » Audio » General » Setting up a practice room
Setting up a practice room [message #84207] Thu, 29 December 2016 03:58 Go to next message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
Ok, like you might have guessed I play an instrument, but we're close enough to the neighbours' house that they are complaining about me practicing. I don't want to stop playing, and I play acoustic so headphones don't help. Is there anyway to deaden sounds, or cheaply soundproof a room so they don't have to hear it?
Re: Setting up a practice room [message #84208 is a reply to message #84207] Thu, 29 December 2016 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Odie is currently offline  Odie
Chancellor
I can't believe you have complaining neighbors. I would love to hear your piano music. That is unless you are playing all hours of the night. I did look up soundproofing materials and they can get quite expensive. What about foam panels? Have you looked into those? I wouldn't think they would be too expensive.
Re: Setting up a practice room [message #84209 is a reply to message #84207] Thu, 29 December 2016 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
The best way to do it on a budget would be to use adhesive weather strips around your door to close that gap between the door and the wall.
Re: Setting up a practice room [message #84234 is a reply to message #84207] Sun, 01 January 2017 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
I don't think I am practicing unreasonably late, just an hour a night before seven, but the walls here seem to be paper thin.

Thanks for the tip about foam. I was looking at cork, but it costs a fortune.I've already tried bookcases and moving the piano away from the wall.
Re: Setting up a practice room [message #84237 is a reply to message #84207] Sun, 01 January 2017 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
How I wish I was your neighbor. I think you have neighbors who just love to pick a fight. Your best remedy is in finding an affordable way of soundproofing the room. Good luck with that!
Re: Setting up a practice room [message #84245 is a reply to message #84207] Tue, 03 January 2017 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I would talk to the apartment manager where you live. It sounds like your neighbor is being unreasonable if you're not playing unreasonably loud at an unreasonable hour. You pay money for that apartment so you deserve to live the life you want.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: Setting up a practice room [message #84251 is a reply to message #84207] Wed, 04 January 2017 14:42 Go to previous message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
I don't think that the neighbors are being unreasonable. The same way she pays for her space, they pay for theirs, too. And invading it with noise is not very neighborly. I think that it's best just to find ways of soundproofing your room and avoid confrontations.
Previous Topic: How long do your headphones last?
Next Topic: Blue tooth
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:28:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout