Home » Audio » General » ATRAC Player?
ATRAC Player? [message #84076] Tue, 13 December 2016 02:05 Go to next message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
In the Secret Santa I just got a Discman which also plays music from SD Card, but instead of MP3's it plays something called ATRAC. All I've been able to find out is it is Sony-propriety, and nowhere online offering that format.

Is it worth looking for more in the format, 'cos otherwise I'm tempted to shove it in a drawer and stick to MP3s.
Re: ATRAC Player? [message #84078 is a reply to message #84076] Tue, 13 December 2016 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Unless you live in Japan, I would shelve it. It's a technology that came and went. I'm pretty sure it died out about 8 years ago.
Re: ATRAC Player? [message #84089 is a reply to message #84076] Tue, 13 December 2016 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
I've never even heard of that format before. Was it ever actually here in the states? Is there maybe a way to convert those ATRAC files into MP3s? That way you would actually be able to use the gift instead of just hiding it away somewhere.
Re: ATRAC Player? [message #84094 is a reply to message #84076] Tue, 13 December 2016 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
I have never heard of such a format before and I think you are better off with a good MP3 player. How much does it cost? I am curious to see how it looks.
Re: ATRAC Player? [message #84122 is a reply to message #84076] Fri, 16 December 2016 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
ATRAC? Now there's a blast from the past! It's pretty much a dead format outside Japan, so forget finding or buying them. You might as well stick with MP3's.
Re: ATRAC Player? [message #84167 is a reply to message #84122] Thu, 22 December 2016 23:03 Go to previous message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
Seems it had been sitting in the gifter's drawer for years but I found the model on Amazon. It is not going in a drawer, it is going up for sale, and I am really glad I didn't open it. This is a nice Christmas bonus!
Previous Topic: What's the most you've ever spent on earphones?
Next Topic: Christmas gifts for the audiophile?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:40:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio