Home » Audio » Radio » Do people still buy radios?
Do people still buy radios? [message #83508] Tue, 06 September 2016 01:19 Go to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Fortunately for me, I still have my old radio that was gifted to me by my father during my 21st birthday. It is old but gives me such wonderful memories. Do people still buy radios in this age? It seems we are now all going with the built-in radios.
Re: Do people still buy radios? [message #83516 is a reply to message #83508] Tue, 06 September 2016 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I still have my old radio that I hardly listen to because the home theater has a built in radio and it becomes easy to switch between different options. There are radios in almost all components so I do not see an instance where people are going to purchase radios anymore.
Re: Do people still buy radios? [message #83526 is a reply to message #83516] Thu, 08 September 2016 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Perhaps not as often as before. I have a few around the house but really like a Cambridge Audio high definition table radio. It gets AM, FM and HDFM. Really nice sound. Lots of features like display of the music playing (if the station sends it) a spectrum analyzer type display, bass, treb control, clock, ) It is even remote controlled. Has inputs for external signal (like a CD), output for phones, and digital audio. It is also able to run on 12 VDC. Normal operation is 120AC. It weighs quite a bit and has a very powerful output. It was about $140 about 6 years ago. If you need a radio I would look for a used one as I believe they are discontinued now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Do people still buy radios? [message #83529 is a reply to message #83526] Fri, 09 September 2016 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's nothin' like a Zenith TransOceanic!
Seriously though, I still have a NAD stereo receiver that I use on my system for light background listening. And now, I've started using streaming "tuners" on my home hifi too. Same purpose for me - light background listening. Nothing like BluRay or vinyl sources, of course, but pretty good for walkin' around music.

Re: Do people still buy radios? [message #83531 is a reply to message #83529] Fri, 09 September 2016 16:08 Go to previous message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
Those are really groovy radios. I believe most lovers of radio have taken care of them over the years hence eliminating the need to buy one now.

I doubt whether you can get the same quality of radios that were owned back in the day, today.
Previous Topic: 1930s and 1940s broadcasts
Next Topic: Listening to the radio in the 60s and 70s
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:18:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout