Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Star Trek Enterprise
Star Trek Enterprise [message #7638] Mon, 08 December 2008 12:23 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you liked the original 1960's Star Trek Series, you'll like this one too. I liked all the Series, but my interest dwindled as the years went on. This one was an exception, probably my favorite one of all of them, and largely overlooked.

The original 1960's Star Trek series was great, if maybe kinda hoakie by today's film and effects standards. The Next Generation was much better in that respect, and it had some great characters too, but it seemed to go too far in the altruistic/idealistic/utopian vein, at least in my opinion. It was really cool to have those values, but if you gave it any thought at all, it was probably hopelessly idealistic. People just don't act that way.

That's where this series is much better. It is more what I would consider to be realistic in terms of how people interacted with one another. It has all the same types of adventures, but is more what I would expect from a human effort at interstellar flight and contact with other life forms.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519SQSGBG7L._SS500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CNV7KR7HL._SS500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MRJZBCYYL._SS500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FZA50YDNL._SS500_.jpg
Re: Star Trek Enterprise [message #7639 is a reply to message #7638] Sun, 21 December 2008 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott L is currently offline  Scott L
Chancellor
Ya know what, Wayne ? As much of a Trek Junkie that I am, I could never get into this series because of the lead roll actor. I can not explain why. There are others out there I do not care for either, and I realize I could be missing otherwise great stuff because of my attitude.
On a side note, I am really looking forward to the new movie; the time setting is when Kirk and Spock meet at Star Fleet Academy.

Another thing about the "Enterprise" series, is that, it misses the time frame mark Gene Rodenberry had laid down. Christopher Pike was theee very first Captain of the Starship enterprise. I thought Kirk was the second, perhaps I am wrong and the new movie will delve deeper into this issue. In any event, at this point, I do not know where the Captain played by Scott Bakula fits in ??

Re: Star Trek Enterprise [message #7640 is a reply to message #7639] Sun, 21 December 2008 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I had not heard about the new Star Trek movie you're talking about. That's cool! I like the concept, setting it for the time when Kirk and Spock met at Star Fleet Academy. I'm really looking forward to it!

I remember Pike being the first captain of the Enterprise in the pilot of the original series, but I thought they meant that version of the Enterprise. There have been lots of ships named Enterprise, so that's how I thought they reconciled that part in other series.

The Star Trek: Enterprise series starts off with the first warp drive ship made by Zefram Cochrane. It sort of segues from the movie First Contact, where the warp drive emits radiation that is detected by a nearby Vulcan ship. The Vulcans land on Alpha Cantauri, where the Cochrane ship was launched from. That is the beginning of a relationship between Vulcans and Humans, and the Enterprise series is based on that. It's a prequel to all the other series and is set a few decades after the Cochrane ship, after warp drive research has matured somewhat. A couple generations have passed, and one of Cochrane's student/colleages has improved warp drive and developed a starship based on it. This ship is later piloted by his son, Jonathan Archer, who becomes the captain of that new ship called Enterprise.

Re: Star Trek Enterprise [message #7641 is a reply to message #7640] Mon, 22 December 2008 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott L is currently offline  Scott L
Chancellor
Wayne, if you and I ever met, we would probably talk for hours on end.
Remember in the original series where Zemfram Cochrane was discovered on a planet; held sort of cative by the "Companion" ?
Said (female) companion also made him age-less. The female actress was none other than "Ellie" : Andy of Mayberry's very first girlfriend !

As far as the Starship goes, the Enterprise was NCC-1701.... no bloddy A, B, C or D !! ( words of scotty )

I guess I owe it to myself to start watching the series. I'll get over the Bakkula thing.

catch up with ya later,

Scott L

Re: Star Trek Enterprise [message #7642 is a reply to message #7641] Mon, 22 December 2008 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We could definitely chat for hours!

The prequel Enterprise is an NX-01, and is a "United Earth" ship. It was supposed to predate the United Federation of Planets. I haven't watched the whole Enterprise series yet, but I think it goes into the formation of the Federation.

I think you might like the series if you start from the beginning. It's kind of fun to watch them, they act like a bunch of cowboys. It is how I would expect us to act, and sort of makes a good segue into the behavior of the cast in the original series. By the time you get to the Next Generation, they're all sort of utopian and idealistic. I mean, the early crews were idealistic too, but in a different way. More sure of themselves, more confident that they can do what's right on their own intuition. The later crews seem to want to philosophize on the "Prime Directive", while the early crews are more cavalier about it. The first crew in the Enterprise Series doesn't even have a prime directive yet, so they tend to jump right in.

Re: Star Trek Enterprise [message #59435 is a reply to message #7638] Sun, 21 June 2009 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
savvyeyty is currently offline  savvyeyty
Esquire
I love the Star Trek series, but not the lead actor too. I just really don't see him as someone to fit the role. Anyways, I've only watched up to the third or perhaps fourth season of it. Still it really is good. As for the Old Star Trek, I think the new one really surpassed it except for their movies. The stories of those are really awesome.
Re: Star Trek Enterprise [message #59529 is a reply to message #7638] Fri, 26 June 2009 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takatenamano is currently offline  takatenamano
Esquire
You know I just discovered that watching movies like Star Trek is a geek. Anyways, you know my favorite season of it is the first season. I can almost memorize the lines and say what they're going to say because I watch it almost every time.
Re: Star Trek Enterprise [message #59533 is a reply to message #59529] Fri, 26 June 2009 09:28 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I watched the original series when it came out, then saw the reruns probably a dozen times each. It was a "TV staple" growing up.

I always made it a point to see each movie as it came out too.

By the time the Next generation series came out, I was a young man and had no time for TV. So I actually didn't see most of the series until a few years ago. I really liked them because they had updated special effects, I liked many of the characters and basically I just like this sort of thing.

One thing struck me though, and that was as good as the show was, they had made it unrealistically idealistic. I mean, I know they're supposed to have "grown" as a culture but really, we humans have been kicking around on this planet for several thousand years, and how much have we "grown" as a culture? Some, sure, we aren't doing the Aztec human sacrifices and there are other ways we've grown too, but still, we're not so different than we were a couple hundred years ago, in many ways the same as we were a couple thousand years ago. So how in the world is the Next Generation believable in terms of the human element?

That's why I liked the Star Trek Enterprise series. In it, the characters act much more like what I would expect. It is just plain more believable. It ties in with all the other series and movies pretty well in terms of timeline, and makes a very credible story from the point of "first contact" (with the Vulcans) onward. It is sort of like the original series with updated special effects. All in all, I think it's my favorite.

Still like Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu, Scotty, Chekov and Urura best though. Smile
Previous Topic: Nick of Time (an oldie)
Next Topic: Music from LSAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 01:09:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout