Home » xyzzy » Tower » Problems with Norton
Problems with Norton [message #73509] Mon, 06 August 2012 13:14 Go to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
Has anyone else had any problems with Norton Internet Security? Our subscription recently ran out and we purchased a newer version and we have had nothing but problems since. The new version has been on for maybe three weeks and we have been "attacked" multiple times with some kind of program in the computer turning off the firewall. I did the Norton Deep Clean program last night that is supposed to find deeply imbedded worms and such and it found nothing. Confused
Re: Problems with Norton [message #73512 is a reply to message #73509] Mon, 06 August 2012 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If the subscription is long overdue, the virus definition file is probably old enough it isn't catching anything new. Either upgrade it or uninstall it and get another one. But you probably don't want to run an internet-enabled computer without some form of virus scanner/blocker on it.

Re: Problems with Norton [message #73516 is a reply to message #73509] Mon, 06 August 2012 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FL152 is currently offline  FL152
Chancellor
I was a victim (err...customer) of various Symantec antiviruses, mostly Norton 360, for years.
IME, get rid of it (by Norton deinstall program/tool, important!) and install free Microsoft Security Essentials (Avast, Avira, AVG, etc. are also good). Use Windows firewall.
As a 2nd measure and periodical sweep, install free Malwarebytes.
Re: Problems with Norton [message #73518 is a reply to message #73509] Mon, 06 August 2012 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
I have had to take my PC back down to factory setting twice while Norton was "protecting" it. In my opinion lose the Norton and try something else. I have used the Microsoft Security Essentials before and only had one major issue with that. Right now I am giving Kapersky a try.
Re: Problems with Norton [message #73520 is a reply to message #73518] Mon, 06 August 2012 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have had good results with AVG Free. I now am using Advanced Windows Care with AVG ($13 for 3 licenses) There are many features that get rid of junk, clean the PC and such. It seems less intrusive than AVG and apparently works fine. Use the Windows firewall and something like Spybot to hunt for adware. Do regular backups. I make clones of the drive on external USBs and remove them when finished. Acronis is the fastest at that. BTW I flip flop two external drives for the back ups, that is just in case you accidentally back up a problem. I wait two weeks between backups as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Problems with Norton [message #73536 is a reply to message #73520] Tue, 07 August 2012 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I can wholeheartedly second Bruce's recommendations for AVG, and Acronis True Image as your backup program. Pair AVG together with Malwarebytes, and you'll be protected against *almost* everything. Just be sure to keep Malwarebytes updated, and do frequent scans.

Thermionic
Re: Problems with Norton [message #73548 is a reply to message #73509] Thu, 09 August 2012 10:24 Go to previous message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I don't like Norton. I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and effective, as far as I can tell. Occasionally I run Ad-Aware as well.
Previous Topic: Phone Ringtones
Next Topic: Solar Energy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:46:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout