Home » xyzzy » Tower » TV in kid's room what are your thoughts?
TV in kid's room what are your thoughts? [message #72840] Sun, 27 May 2012 17:24 Go to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
We are discussing the possibility of putting a small tv/dvd combo in our three year old's bedroom. Originally, we had both said no way, but I don't know how many more times I can listen to Shrek or Tangled. Do your kids have tv's in their rooms?
Re: TV in kid's room what are your thoughts? [message #72870 is a reply to message #72840] Wed, 30 May 2012 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
I am not a huge fan of having a tv in the kid' bedrooms. I would rather see them playing and use tv and movies as a treat.
Re: TV in kid's room what are your thoughts? [message #72872 is a reply to message #72870] Wed, 30 May 2012 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a TV in my 5-year-old son's room. He has video games in there too. But there are rules, and he can't watch or play all the time, in fact, he can't use them very often at all.

But like you said, how many times can I see Shrek? Not as many as Eddie can, that's for sure. So when he gets his 30 minutes of TV, if he wants Shrek, he gets Shrek (and I don't).

Just consider this practice for how you'll deal with your child's indoctrination to the internet and social media. Good practice influencing your child and helping them define healthy boundaries. It's tricky stuff these days, and the TV is just the beginning.

Re: TV in kid's room what are your thoughts? [message #73235 is a reply to message #72840] Mon, 09 July 2012 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
likearecordbaby
Baron
I don't agree with TVs in ANYONE'S room. With kids, the trouble is that they can get holed up in there for hours having their brain turn to mush. Better to have a separate playroom with a TV in it, and even then, have parental controls set on it so they can't turn it on by themselves.
Re: TV in kid's room what are your thoughts? [message #73237 is a reply to message #72840] Mon, 09 July 2012 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
We ended up with a compromise on this one. We got a portable dvd/tv thing and she gets to watch movies as a treat. She doesn't nap anymore so in the afternoon she can watch a movie while her little brother naps. Occasionally, if she is really good she can watch one movie before bed. This helps keep me from going Barney crazy, and it is an effective reward/punishment tool. Smile
Re: TV in kid's room what are your thoughts? [message #73277 is a reply to message #72840] Fri, 13 July 2012 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
LuvMartin, glad to hear that you have come up with such a good compromise. I would definitely be a little reluctant to put a TV in a 3 year old's room, if she were a little older then I may consider it. However, I love the idea of a portable DVD player. It's perfect!
Re: TV in kid's room what are your thoughts? [message #73279 is a reply to message #72840] Fri, 13 July 2012 21:14 Go to previous message
Master
Yeah, this has definitely been the way to go. When she misbehaves she doesn't get to watch it at all, and that is a serious consequence in her mind. Bonus: When the power goes out and she is freaking out because it is dark, now she can watch a movie!
Previous Topic: Do you get a newspaper?
Next Topic: I hate paint
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:49:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout