Home » Audio » General » Some odd changes in sound level I've noticed.
Some odd changes in sound level I've noticed. [message #73110] Sat, 23 June 2012 01:42 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
At first, I thought maybe I was simply hearing the differences between sound sources, but now I don't thinks so.

I have an old Pioneer Elite TX47 receiver. 7 x 160 into 4 ohms, 120 into 8 ohms, and it won't tolerate anything below 4.

Anyway, lately I have noticed that the sound set to the same volume level with very similar source material seems much louder than at other times. Perhaps an 6db difference.

I was listening to Breaking Bad from a room that adjoins the listening room with open doors between the two, and I noticed the large increase in volume (across the spectrum) without a single variable being changed. This is not the first time or with the same source.

It could be DirecTV, but I am suspicious that it is not. I've noticed the same thing with BR and DVD. The sound quality is excellent at either volume, but it is the kind of thing that makes me curious. I have a voltage conditioner that indicates a steady 120 volts. Two Three Pi speakers, an Infinity center, and Harmon Kardon surroudns. Klipsh subwoofer.Any ideas?

I did have my audiologists interrogate my hearing aids, and it turns out that I spend about 1% of my time in the middle 80 db range, a much lower percentage in the 90 db range, and the rest well below that (as an aside).

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Some odd changes in sound level I've noticed. [message #73113 is a reply to message #73110] Sat, 23 June 2012 10:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sometimes dirty potentiometers will cause that symptom.

You could spray them clean with flux remover or TV tuner cleaner. Or you could take it to a shop and have them do it.

Another way to clean the potentiometers is to turn all the volume, balance and tone control knobs through their range from mininum to maximum, back and forth several times. If you hear any crackling or scratching sound, do it until the sound is gone.

Previous Topic: Standing waves
Next Topic: Server Outage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 07:31:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout