Home » Audio » General » Standing waves
Standing waves [message #73045] Tue, 19 June 2012 00:39 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I know that standing waves are undesirable, but I don't really know what they are.

Would someone bring me up to speed?

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Standing waves [message #73050 is a reply to message #73045] Tue, 19 June 2012 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

From Physics.info:
Re: Standing waves [message #73055 is a reply to message #73045] Wed, 20 June 2012 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
While this is mechanical rather than audio, the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is a famous example of how standing waves and resonance can be destructive.
Re: Standing waves [message #73079 is a reply to message #73055] Thu, 21 June 2012 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There is a free fairly simple XL spread sheet available to use to calculate the nulls and peaks in a room. I have used it a number of times to avoid disastrous placement of speakers. If you will PM me with an email address I can send you a copy.

It won't fix anything... but can keep you from making mistakes in placement of speakers and your listening position. Unfortunately it does not have provisions for what happens if you use room treatments.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Standing waves [message #73109 is a reply to message #73079] Sat, 23 June 2012 01:29 Go to previous message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Bruce,

Can I have a copy? It would help me gain a simple understanding of what the variables are.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Previous Topic: Laptop Speakers
Next Topic: Some odd changes in sound level I've noticed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:40:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio