Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wood used in 4PI construction (4Pi wood)
Wood used in 4PI construction [message #72866] Wed, 30 May 2012 08:37 Go to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
Wayne, others,

What wood do you use for the cabinet on 4PI speakers? I see the wood options on the 4PI when you buy built. I was wondering if this is the veneer and all of the boxes are built with MDF?

I was going to build. I've built two pairs of speakers and a subwoofer using the highest grade maple ply I can find. I know using plywood for speakers is debatable. I've had great sound. Some say the plywood does not seal. I use silicone in the joints and use in the inside of the speaker. I also stain and poly the outside. The 5 ply layers also criss cross so I feel good about the seal. The 4' X 8' sheet of this wood cost 110.00 and is the highest grade in Minnesota. I've seen a knot in one ply about the size of a silver doller but that is about it. No buzzing etc. The speakers are built like tanks... Weigh in as tanks which can suck.

When using Baltic birch... is that solid baltic birch or a ply?

Just curious on build material I guess.

Thanks,
Andy
Re: Wood used in 4PI construction [message #72867 is a reply to message #72866] Wed, 30 May 2012 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The problem with plywood isn't sealing the corners, it's the possibility of voids between laminations. Where there are voids, there is the likelihood of debris in the voids, which causes the cabinet to buzz. Honestly, the only plywood I trust is baltic birch. Most others will have voids, and some are pretty bad.

If you aren't going to move the speakers a lot or use the speakers outdoors or in humid environments, I would suggest MDF. If they will be moved a lot (like sound reinforcement speakers) or if they might be subject to water or humidity, use baltic birch plywood. In either case, an attractive, high quality wood veneer can be applied for aesthetics.

Re: Wood used in 4PI construction [message #72874 is a reply to message #72867] Thu, 31 May 2012 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I think I may run with Baltic Birch. I like a real solid box for speakers.

How does Baltic Birch look without a veneer? If you build with it and just sand the finished speaker cabinet and apply a good stain... Does that look good or do you need to run a veneer over it? I know this is probably some opinion type material here... Just curious to hear your opinion on this.

Thanks for the time Wayne!

Andy
Re: Wood used in 4PI construction [message #72875 is a reply to message #72874] Thu, 31 May 2012 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
PS - I'd buy the highest grade Baltic Birch I can get... In regards to the question I just asked.
Re: Wood used in 4PI construction [message #72878 is a reply to message #72875] Thu, 31 May 2012 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Birch has an attractive light color tone with fairly straight grain. It has a uniform texture with closed pores that are easy to finish. Many people use it without applying any other veneer.

Re: Wood used in 4PI construction [message #72881 is a reply to message #72878] Fri, 01 June 2012 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I'm going to run with Baltic Birch. I did read up on the wood. It seems it comes in 5' X 5' X 3/4" more than 4' X 8'.

I had to find a source of better grade B. Some places only had the "BBB" lower grade that has the football patchwork in the veneer. I have a place that has "B"/"BB" grade sheets of 5' X 5' X 3/4". "B" grade on one side meaning perfect veneer and then the other has the football patch work that has the football patch matching wood tone.

Thanks Wayne. I think I'm going to build this fall and doing some research at this time.

What do you charge for the 2226h and the B&C driver for the upgraded 4PI? PM or e-mail me this if you can please.

Thanks,

Andy
Re: Wood used in 4PI construction [message #72882 is a reply to message #72881] Fri, 01 June 2012 15:11 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check the shopping cart for prices and upgrade options. Each option has a drop down box showing what's available and the prices.
Previous Topic: 2 Pi plans
Next Topic: Clamp Rack
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:44:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout