Home » Audio » Movies & Music » What's your fav Messiah?
What's your fav Messiah? [message #7254] Sun, 12 November 2006 05:27 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Listened to my latest thrift find Messiah last night, Klemperer on Angel with Scwartzkopf, Gedda and Hines.
Also have the Mormon Tabernacle Columbia with Ormandy and the Phila; Farrell and Warfield. Plus the London conducted by Boing-ing with (of course) Sutherland and Krause.

Gedda makes the Angel worthwhile but I can't stand Schwartzkopf.

The Mormons do a good job but not really very 1740'ish.

I haven't listened to the Sutherland yet.

Vinyl and Music Asylum favor the Beecham, Hogwood and Marriner sets which I plan to acquire.

I had the pleasure of hearing the small-ensemble-with-modern-instruments road show Robert Shaw Chorale live in college back in the sixties which I still remember as incredible. And it's also available, I discover, on vinyl.

Recommend any of these or others?

Re: What's your fav Messiah? [message #7265 is a reply to message #7254] Mon, 13 November 2006 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimmys devoted is currently offline  jimmys devoted
Baron
I used ot love ot listen to the soundtrack from of all things the moie with Whoopie Goldbergs Sister Act for the music.

Re: What's your fav Messiah? [message #7276 is a reply to message #7254] Wed, 15 November 2006 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Get the Hogwood. Closest to what Handel actually heard.

Bob

Re: What's your fav Messiah? [message #7299 is a reply to message #7254] Tue, 21 November 2006 04:33 Go to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Bill,

I'm a little late, but if you're still watching for responses, I like to have one relatively "authentic" and one wildly inauthentic version on hand. For me that tends to be Gardiner (DG/Archiv) and Beecham. The Marriner is good. I haven't heard the Hogwood.

Most years, btw, I usually wind up giving two or three copies of the Beecham as Christmas presents -- don't even people who dislike classical music need a Messiah for the holiday season?

Previous Topic: FireFly Serenity
Next Topic: Building Your Library: Amazon Used?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 12:06:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio