Home » Audio » General » suitcase record player
suitcase record player [message #72038] Fri, 06 April 2012 06:22 Go to next message
rogerking is currently offline  rogerking
Chancellor
I remember my parents had one of these when I was growing up and I am thinking about getting one again. Something that I can show my kids of what we had well before ipods and all the gadgets they are growing up with now. I have no idea what model they had, I only remember the dusty gold color. Anyone know much about these?
Re: suitcase record player [message #72047 is a reply to message #72038] Sat, 07 April 2012 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi There were several. Probably the best of them was from Cambridge Audio. Others from companies like VM, RCA, Decca were fairly good. I would prowl places like ebay and thrift and pawn shops. You might score one rather cheaply. Most will not be even close to current players but then the price will be a lot less. Nealy all the old ones used ceramic or crystal pickups and while not as common as back then some are still available. I would not risk any LP on whatever came with anything you got unless the seller would guarantee that it was new.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: suitcase record player [message #72080 is a reply to message #72038] Tue, 10 April 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'd forgotten all about suitcase record players: what a blast from the past! I agree that you could probably find one pretty cheaply at a thrift store or yard sale if you are patient.
Re: suitcase record player [message #72125 is a reply to message #72080] Fri, 13 April 2012 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maggie is currently offline  maggie
Chancellor
I remember the RCA's and I have even seen a few going really cheap online. I am guessing they are not by collectors because some of the prices seem very slim!
Re: suitcase record player [message #72225 is a reply to message #72038] Wed, 18 April 2012 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
I ran a search on Ebay for a "suitcase record player" and it pulled up 25 matches. The least expensive one was a Vornado, with bidding starting at $9.99. There were two tied for most expensive, one was a Zenith and the other was a Pyle, both at $199. There was even one that was brand new - a Crosley model for $133. So, if you're still in the market for one, it looks like there are plenty out there!
Re: suitcase record player [message #72232 is a reply to message #72038] Wed, 18 April 2012 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maggie is currently offline  maggie
Chancellor
I remember having one that was about the average size of a normal suitcase from the 70's & 80's. I would love to get my hands on another one, husband is a fan and we never find any at good prices!
Re: suitcase record player [message #72237 is a reply to message #72038] Wed, 18 April 2012 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I remember these too when I was a kid. What a great memory! It's amazing at how much technology has changed since we were kids. Heck technology changes every day!
Re: suitcase record player [message #72241 is a reply to message #72225] Wed, 18 April 2012 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Re: suitcase record player Wed, 18 April 2012 14:20
iLoveiPod
I ran a search on Ebay for a "suitcase record player" and it pulled up 25 matches. The least expensive one was a Vornado, with bidding starting at $9.99. There were two tied for most expensive, one was a Zenith and the other was a Pyle, both at $199. There was even one that was brand new - a Crosley model for $133. So, if you're still in the market for one, it looks like there are plenty out there!

I had no idea that it would be so easy to find one of these old suitcase-style record players! I would have thought that they were collectibles now and as such, would be much harder to find! I'm also surprised by how relatively inexpensive they are, being vintage audio equipment. I'm going to look into this; maybe I'll buy one!
Re: suitcase record player [message #72406 is a reply to message #72038] Fri, 27 April 2012 11:35 Go to previous message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
I remember these! My parents had one, and I even had my own smaller version in my room for awhile and it was pink! I am 90% sure my parents still have it up in their attic too. Now I am going to have to go looking for it. Smile
Previous Topic: sue for cracked dash?
Next Topic: Headphone listening
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 00:16:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout