Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Interview With Bruce Heran & Rodney Brinker
Interview With Bruce Heran & Rodney Brinker [message #71610] Thu, 01 March 2012 07:20 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was doing a search for tube amp kits and came across this. Maybe everybody else has already seen it, but I had not.

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/01/04/amped-up-interview-with-oddwatt-audio/
Re: Interview With Bruce Heran & Rodney Brinker [message #71611 is a reply to message #71610] Thu, 01 March 2012 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, and it won an award from that eZine, as I recall.

Re: Interview With Bruce Heran & Rodney Brinker [message #71623 is a reply to message #71610] Thu, 01 March 2012 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Reading that interview reminded me of at time most people living today are too young to have experienced. When I was still in my teens the only way a poor boy could afford a good sound system was to build it himself. Companies like Heathkit and Knight Kits offered EL84 amp kits, and for a summer vacation's lawn mowing earnings you could buy and build one. That's what I did.

Since then I've built a few more tube amplifier kits, but none costing less than $1,000. Then along come the odd guys from OddWatt with a kit for less than $600, which is quite a bargain considering the quality of the iron and other parts that are included. I need another tube amp like an arab shaikh needs another wife, but I'm tempted.
Re: Interview With Bruce Heran & Rodney Brinker [message #71712 is a reply to message #71623] Fri, 09 March 2012 17:44 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I used to BEG my dad to buy me Heathkit or Dynaco stuff for Christmas presents. Once in a while it worked. Very Happy I heard that heath will start offering kits again, that would be really fun. Speaking of which, a couple years ago I bought a Heathkit AA-151 that needed some upgrades to parts, and cleaning. Since Heath used ultra cheap parts, what I did was completely disassemble the thing down to every last nut and bolt, then (using an assembly manual I bought) rebuilt it using new parts (mostly). It was a blast and I ended up with a nice amp that later when to a buddy in Columbus when I moved.
Previous Topic: Miniwatt amps
Next Topic: Tube Chess Set
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:50:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout