Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Miniwatt amps
Miniwatt amps [message #71571] Tue, 28 February 2012 23:36 Go to next message
The Wiz is currently offline  The Wiz
Chancellor
Is anyone here familiar with Miniwatt amps? It looks like they're these really small amps from Hong Kong. They sound kind of interesting, but do they perform well?
Re: Miniwatt amps [message #71695 is a reply to message #71571] Wed, 07 March 2012 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't know. I have to wonder about the constraints imposed by an amp of such small size, and why trying to be the smallest amp is really important compared to sound quality.
Re: Miniwatt amps [message #71703 is a reply to message #71571] Thu, 08 March 2012 15:22 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've bought a couple of very inexpensive tube amps off Ebay, and I found that an amp that's designed to sell as cheaply as possible with great eye appeal is likely to have compromises built into it. I can't comment on this brand, but I believe it's safe to say that you don't get what you don't pay for.

My most recent experience was a $250 El84 amp, bought on Ebay and direct-shipped from Hong Kong. The neat looking wood faceplate was attached with silicone adhesive, which did not survive the ocean voyage and fell off when I opened the box. The volume control was the kind you get for $2.00 at a local electronics supply store, and within six months it was noisy. The sound, especially the bass control, wasn't too great either. But the amp looked great, and the tubes were cool glowing in the dark with blue LED's shining through from beneath them!

If you already have a good amp and just want a small, nice looking low power amp to play with in a second system, these would be good, but if you want something that's built with good parts and good quality control I would expect to pay more.
Previous Topic: Integrated Preamplifier
Next Topic: Interview With Bruce Heran & Rodney Brinker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:44:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout