Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Favorite Music--Again.
Favorite Music--Again. [message #7120] Fri, 01 September 2006 12:08 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Copied from the General Forum. And yes, I know that this has been done to death, but it's always interesting to see what other people are listening to.

What 2-3 CD's or LP's do you consistantly return to really enjoy the music and especially why (doesn't have to be a critical why, mine aren't)? Can be newly recorded stuff, old stuff, whatever--maybe your latest and greatest. Of course most of us have more than 2-3 (or 20-30), but I'm looking for new music to obtain, so help a brother out

I'll start.

VIVALDI - FOUR SEASONS on Telarc with Seiji Ozawa.
I've heard just a handful of recordings of this and I'm always drawn back to the Telarc version. Quiet backgrounds and the instruments are soooo smooth. I'm not a classical afficianado, but I like this.

JOHN MAYALL - BLUES FOR THE LOST DAYS
I like almost all of John's stuff, but something about the song "Trenches" really touches me. Maybe the way he incorporates the harmonica in a somewhat sparse song.

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN - COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER
The opening riff of "Couldn't Stand the Weather" just sucks me in! Damn I wish I could play a decent shuffle.

DIANA KRALL -LIVE IN PARIS
Ok, I know most of you female vocal lovers don't put much stock in Krall's work, but I like it as I'm just getting into this type of music and it's easy to listen to. To really get the heretical badge out--I've listen to Billie and I just don't like it. After the fifth song sounding exactly like the first, music and vocals alike, I can't stand it anymore.

MEGADETH - SYMPHONY OF DESTRUCTION
Perfect playing! Not a screwup anywhere. This is my choice when I feel in the mood for metal. I like all the old Metallica stuff, too, but I prefer Megadeth.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7121 is a reply to message #7120] Fri, 01 September 2006 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Ah, yes. Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". These are the most recorded works in the classical repertoire. It seems that every violinist that thinks (s)he has a recording career does a "Four Seasons", whether (s)he has a feel for the baroque or not.

The Silverstein/Ozawa version is a typical mid 1900's big band romantic rendition. Very smooth and polished. Nothing out of place. Tempi a bit slow.

If you are up for a bit of experimentation, get a hold of a copy of Giuliano Carmignola's version. This recording uses a small (less than 20) period instrument band with the continuo played of archlute and theorbo rather than just a harpsichord. Totally different sound. As a bonus, you get two concertos by Pietro Locatelli that are real eye openers.

Bob

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7122 is a reply to message #7121] Fri, 01 September 2006 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Four Seasons:
I grew up with the Romantic I Musici but now I listen frequently to the Connecticut Early Music Ensemble conducted by Igor Kipnis on Chesky CD78. Actually, the Flute Concerto in D on that disc, Il Gardellino is the main event for me. Wooden flute, continuo, Viola da Gamba, etc and scratchy gut strings are what Vivaldi wrote for.

I love to listen to John Lee Hooker Chill while I work. It's music that sits in the background until a particular phrase grabs your attention. Same is true of Townes Van Zandt.

I'm listening to more guys in general and Freddie Cole, whom I've written about is one. His CD Merry Go Round is a little evocative of his legendary older brother but his style is his own. That one's on Telarc.

The GBS's (Great Big Speakers) have me enjoying major orchestral stuff more than usual.Berlioz, especially Les Troyens and Simphonie Funebre et Triomphale I have on Phillips show off huge forces in excess of 200 players on the latter.

And all three of the Dvorak Symphonies 7,8, and 9 that I've played myself many times. (I'm old enough to remember them being numbered 3, 4and 5!) I can do more than just hum along now that I've got an "axe" again. If you'd like to try major Romantic and Brahms is too long-haired, the 3rd movement of the Dvorak Eighth is almost "pop" while the whole work really flows and holds your attention without effort. Really fun to listen to.

For Jazz, I can listen to Sonny Rollins all day long. Alfie, the soundtrack he wrote for the movie is often on the turntable. And I have a new fascination with Sarah Vaughan. I immediately found Billie Holliday boring, too.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7123 is a reply to message #7122] Fri, 01 September 2006 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like Seiji Ozawa too. In particular, I like a recording he did of Pictures at an Exhibition with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 1968. I've also been in the mood to hear Jewel and Kate Bush when feeling mellow. Tool has always been my band of choice when doing rush hour or whatever else in my life that's fast paced.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7124 is a reply to message #7120] Fri, 01 September 2006 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I always go back to Mark Knopfler's solo work Sailing to Philadelphia or his collaboration with Chet Atkins on Neck & Neck.

Then for period music I listen to Blackmore's Knight and Ghost of a Rose .

I Play The Best of Warren Zevon when I need a laugh or two. That man put out some really funny songs in a dark sorta way If you can listen to Mr. Bad Example and not smile then there's something wrong with you Or Werewolves of London.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7125 is a reply to message #7122] Fri, 01 September 2006 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know Shane it's an interesting mix you got there. On the Mayall; Have you tried " Turning Point?" It's a little mellow, all acoustic no drums or percussion. It's got a nice minor key jazzy/blues quality that gets nice with the late night listening sessions. A little sax solo and acoustic guitar but it has the blues down in the mix.
Electratig did a nice review of the Keith Jarrett "Shostakovitch" that convinced me to buy it and I listen to it all the time. The review is in the archives and it is extremely well written so I would suggest you take a peek at it if only to see good music criticism.
Bill mentions Sonny Rollins of whom I too am a huge fan. If you have a interest in looking up some great jazz sax I would say you can't go wrong on Bills recommendations and I would offer one of my own.
"Without A Song", is Sonny doing a live concert for 9/11 that is not only one of the best done live albums soundwise I think ever but it has some really wonderfull music. His killer version of "A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square", is gorgeous. Clifton Anderson On Trombone does a phenomenal solo on that cut.
In fact Another great Jazz intro album is the live Ahmad Jamal; " Live In Paris." Rich; tunefull jazz interpretations that is easily accesible to everyone by a master piano player.
Can we talk about this Billie Holiday/Dianna Krall thing?
Dianna Krall has a nice voice; it is what I call non-threatening in that it is sweet and simple and sometimes that works; especially for her repretoir'.
Billie Holiday; if the true art of song lies in the phrasing; thats all she wrote. Nothing worth having comes easy; she is definately an acquired taste. But like anything that needs to be absorbed; she needs to be absorbed. The woman can talk a song better than most singers can sing them. Forget th cliche's; plenty of great singers never did drugs; but to have that maturity and insight is very rare. It reminds me of those who say Bob Dylan has no voice; when in fact he has one of the best voices there is; listen to the phrasing; that guy could make Happy Birthday sound like a Mozart Aria.
Are you an acoustic blues fan? Lightning Hopkins maybe?

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7126 is a reply to message #7125] Fri, 01 September 2006 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've tried and tried to listen to Billie and just can't seem to get into it. Strange, but true.
I really like Diana Krall. Because of the exact description you give. I use it to relax to, not to really "listen". Very enjoyable for me.
Bob Dylan is awesome. No other word. Although I'm not familiar with a lot of his work, just the mainstream stuff, what I've heard has always impressed me. I've just never bothered to get any of his stuff. I really want to rent the Scorcese bio on him.
You talk about aquired taste. Man, Mayall's voice is an aquired taste. You either can listen or not. I've heard "Turning Point", but don't own it. Mayall has a definite knack for picking outstanding guitarists though, don't you think?
I'm not a big sax or trumpet fan, never have been. For classical I'm more a violin, cello guy. I like Yo-Yo Ma stuff, especially the Baroque stuff he's done where they retro-ed his cello to be authentic.
I like a little of every type of genre,well- except rap. I got turned off from it years ago when I heard a song where they sampled Jimi Hendrix. I don't care if they don't sample anymore--put me off.
Acoustic blues. Hmmmm. I've heard a little, but never pursued it. I bought an acoustic a couple months ago for the first time and am trying to "get it". Most of the stuff I've played has been classic rock, some Metallica and such, and Godsmack type noise. Acoustic is another beast altogther. But one of my favorite acoustic players is Chris Smither. I listen to him almost every day as well.

Wayne -TOOL ROCKS!!!! I really dig the fact that the drummer is playing in a different time than the rest of the band. My brother knows the guy --he's from Kansas City, and he was telling him on some songs he plays in a 3/4 time while the rest of the band plays in 4/4. Gives it that strange syncopated sound.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7127 is a reply to message #7125] Sat, 02 September 2006 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Ah, Turning Point. Now there's the best thing Mayall ever did. Room to Move has to be experienced to be believed. I think every British guitar player of note started withe Blues Breakers at one point.

Another great blues album is Paul Butterworth/Mike Bloomfield and East-West. Their rendition of Walkin Blues has never been equalled IMO.

Lightning Hopkins is in a league of his own. He's about the only Delta Blues artist I can listen to for more than one song. It's not that the others are bad, it's just I'm not a slow blues fan most of the time and he has a way of drawing you in.

If I want female vocals I go with my favorite and Maddy Prior in the group Steeleye Span. Now there is a voice.

For background I like either Gerry Rafferty or Herbie Mann. His Memphis Underground is a classic album.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7128 is a reply to message #7127] Sat, 02 September 2006 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
An excellent and well-rounded collection that i could not agree more with. The Mayall album with Jon Mark's on sax has one of my favorite songs of all time on it. "California", with that haunting melodic sax solo which to me proves that you don't have to be a startling muscician to play a beautifull solo.
The Lighting Hopkins is of course a marvel of guitar work. I know most people put him in the Delta blues catagory but in truth he is west Texas born and bred and plays in that style; if you listen to Johnny Winter you can hear a lot of Hopkins in his style. There's a story i heard that the kind of half-step drag he plays in and the way he plays past the bar lines comes from his suspicious nature. He never wanted people to be able to copy his stuff so he deliberately threw in these odd accents and irregular time; or so I have been told.
East-West is a great album; Paul Butterfield is one of the white harp players that could nail a black sound and thats pretty rare.
I never could get enough of that song; "Driftin' and Driftin".
But of all the best music I agree with Maddy Prior. All three of the great english folk ballad girls are just wonderfull to listen to. June Tabor and Sandy Denis along with Maddy make up a lot of my listening also.
The purity of tone is enjoyable; I don't see a lot of exposure lately; I don't understand why; the music is great; hey," All Around My Hat"
"Matty Groves". What albums strike you? I like Pentangle and the early Steeleye Spann hugely.

John Mayall [message #7133 is a reply to message #7128] Sat, 02 September 2006 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've got several of John's newer releases like "Mail Order Mystics" and "Blues for the Lost Days". I also have a two CD compilation of his stuff from 1969-74. It's released under Polydor's Chronicles series and is called "Room to Move". Has 30 songs on it.

Here's a link to it.

I'll check out some of the female vocalists you have mentioned.

KEEP EM' COMING!!!!!!!

Previous Topic: Bob Dylan
Next Topic: Battle of the album covers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 09:53:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers