Home » xyzzy » Tower » Your best methods to reduce noise while trying to sleep?
Your best methods to reduce noise while trying to sleep? [message #66370] Sun, 27 February 2011 19:34 Go to next message
bengee is currently offline  bengee
Chancellor
I'm asking because I've recently moved into a new place that is inconveniently-located near train tracks. Now, I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but my first few nights have been awful trying to get my sleep in before work in the morning.

Any suggestions besides flat-out moving? It was the cheapest place I could get. I'll move someplace else eventually, but until then, I'm stuck with train noises.
Re: Your best methods to reduce noise while trying to sleep? [message #66375 is a reply to message #66370] Sun, 27 February 2011 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Drone noise (not music) of your own choosing or earplugs. Not too loud though because even what seems quiet has limitations before it starts damaging your hearing. And when dealing with specific frequencies over and over it isn't going to be hard to guess what will be missing. Yeah, I'd go with the earplugs.

Re: Your best methods to reduce noise while trying to sleep? [message #66510 is a reply to message #66370] Sat, 05 March 2011 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofer is currently offline  woofer
Chancellor
I've found a fan works well for white noise. I just position it so it's not blowing directly on me, because that drives me crazy. I live on a busy highway at a beach town - in the summer, the traffic sounds are endless. The fan helps mask the noise plus it's nice to have the moving air.
Re: Your best methods to reduce noise while trying to sleep? [message #66726 is a reply to message #66510] Mon, 21 March 2011 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wuzajock is currently offline  Wuzajock
Chancellor
An air purifier might provide the needed "white noise" that you need. Much like the fan idea but will provide you with clean air perhaps enhancing your sleep experience further. Stay away from ionizers though, I understand they tear your lungs up. Shocked
Re: Your best methods to reduce noise while trying to sleep? [message #67106 is a reply to message #66726] Tue, 19 April 2011 08:07 Go to previous message
RadioDinosaur is currently offline  RadioDinosaur
Chancellor
I've had success with a fan as well and an air purifier if it hums loud enough. I'd imagine in time you will become accustomed and not even notice it. Hope you get to move away soon though, that's the best solution.
Previous Topic: Justin Bieber sold a lock of his hair for $40,668
Next Topic: Should we believe
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:15:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout