Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question
4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question [message #66945] Fri, 08 April 2011 20:10 Go to next message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
I would like to get a copy of the 4 Pi speaker plans plus the 3 Pi subwoofer plans. My intention is to start out building the speakers and would consider the subwoofer(s) at a later time.

How big of a difference would a different amplifier for my system make? I currently have an average Yamaha home theater receiver with 100 watts per channel. I am traveling, so I don't have the exact model number. My receiver has pre-amp outputs that I can use. If the recommendation is for a different amp, are there any recommendations of one that would go with my receiver?

As far as speakers, I am not too sure what to look for. If one reads rating of speakers online, most people love the speakers that they bought. I do not have any high end audio stores around me, so Best Buy is my only store for reference. In listening to speakers at Best Buy, even the $1000 a piece speakers did not impress me. My current speakers consist of Polk speakers and they are "acceptable". I ended up choosing Polk speakers for my center channel speaker and surround speakers. When I bought my Polk main speakers several years ago, I listened to Klipsch Chorus II speakers and they were the only speakers that I considered really well. Since they were too expensive, I went for the Polks. I have never spent much time listening to speakers. So to my ears, I have only heard one set of nice speakers in my life. It is a little hard to sort out what part of the sound was from the speaker, from the amp, or from my idealized memory of several years ago. I came across the Pi speakers doing a search for Klipsch designs.
Re: 4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question [message #66950 is a reply to message #66945] Fri, 08 April 2011 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send plans, so check your mail.

Of course I'm biased but I don't think the Best Buy speakers you're talking about are even in the same ballpark as these.

That amplifier has plenty of power, and I think it will work well for you. I haven't listened to any recent Yamaha stereo or home theater receiver/amps, but I used to be quite fond of their late 1970s and early 1980s gear. I owned a 50 watt Yamaha receiver and an 80 watt receiver, and was very happy with both of them. They were clean and powerful, and never gave me any trouble.

I was impressed with their attention to detail. As an example, the amplifier was just below clipping when the input signal was the full 0.775v and volume knob was twisted completely clockwise. Most gear is at clipping somewhere around one-half to three-quarters, but Yamaha took the time to set this level. No big deal technically, just a couple 2ยข resistors. But the point was they took the trouble of setting the levels so full volume was reached at the same time that the knob was twisted full, preventing the system from clipping.

Re: 4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question [message #66961 is a reply to message #66950] Sat, 09 April 2011 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the design plans and the information. It sets my mind at ease to know that I do not have to add an amp at the same time.

I had thought of a few more questions, but I found the answers by searching the forum.
Re: 4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question [message #66963 is a reply to message #66961] Sat, 09 April 2011 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OneBean is currently offline  OneBean
Baron
Dave, I have the 4 Pi speakers in standard configuration. I have been listening to them for over 5 years. Prior to that, I was on a constant hunt to upgrade my speakers. That stopped when I built the 4 Pi. These speakers are nothing short of amazing. Dynamic, incredible midrange, just rock solid performance. I have listened to all sorts of high end speakers costing thousands of dollars, and have always left feeling flat and disappointed. I run mine on 3.5 watt tube amps, and use them for everything from TV watching, to listening to records. The real proof is when my non audiophile friends set down and listen to them and say they have never heard any stereo sound that good. They say things like, the sound is coming from the TV, not the speakers, and it's like I can imagine the players on stage because I can hear them all individually. One note, you will need a sub, or multiple subs. Wayne can fill you in on the sub details, he's very helpful. I truly believe these speakers have no design compromises. Every aspect of the design was done to maximize performance. Store bought speakers are designed around a ton of things that have nothing to do with the sound quality, like making sure they to fit in a box that ships easy, designed to use cost effective materials to get higher margins (drivers, crossovers, wood) and appeal to the widest demographic possible. By the time they accomplish these things, it's amazing they even make any music at all. I hopes this helps. Good luck in your journey.

OneBean
Re: 4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question [message #66969 is a reply to message #66963] Sat, 09 April 2011 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
OneBean wrote on Sat, 09 April 2011 11:39
Dave, I have the 4 Pi speakers in standard configuration. I have been listening to them for over 5 years. Prior to that, I was on a constant hunt to upgrade my speakers. That stopped when I built the 4 Pi. These speakers are nothing short of amazing. Dynamic, incredible midrange, just rock solid performance. I have listened to all sorts of high end speakers costing thousands of dollars, and have always left feeling flat and disappointed. I run mine on 3.5 watt tube amps, and use them for everything from TV watching, to listening to records. The real proof is when my non audiophile friends set down and listen to them and say they have never heard any stereo sound that good. They say things like, the sound is coming from the TV, not the speakers, and it's like I can imagine the players on stage because I can hear them all individually. One note, you will need a sub, or multiple subs. Wayne can fill you in on the sub details, he's very helpful. I truly believe these speakers have no design compromises. Every aspect of the design was done to maximize performance. Store bought speakers are designed around a ton of things that have nothing to do with the sound quality, like making sure they to fit in a box that ships easy, designed to use cost effective materials to get higher margins (drivers, crossovers, wood) and appeal to the widest demographic possible. By the time they accomplish these things, it's amazing they even make any music at all. I hopes this helps. Good luck in your journey.

OneBean

Thanks. It is always reassuring to hear a few more oppinions.

I will probably do most of the upgrades except the capacitors. That will help pay for the cost of the subs. My speaker quest started when I contemplated buying a sub to add to my current speakers and mentioned it to a coworker. He said that it was a nasty compromise and that the main speakers are the thing to invest in. Waynes tendency to use 2 subs may be more of the answer and makes the design more like a set of 3-way speakers. I'll have to run the 2 speaker/2 sub design past him. The speakers seem to have the basics design features that he leaned towards like larger drivers that can move air.

One other user here has a set of Orions and 4 Pi speakers. He didn't say that the 4 Pi was better - but seemed to enjoy the 4 Pi speakers just as much. The Orions seem like a little more than I am willing to tackle and may be hard to set up in my room.

One more question: If I go with the 3 Pi subs, what does one do about the crossover, low pass filter?

Re: 4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question [message #66990 is a reply to message #66969] Sun, 10 April 2011 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, I must have missed your question about the sub crossover earlier. Here's a post from a couple days ago on that very same subject, with a couple links to products that work well:
There are plenty of other suitable products out there, so be sure and look around. But I've used the two mentioned in that post and found them to be affordable, DIY-friendly (and kind of fun to fiddle with) and adjustable in the right frequencies for multisubs, whether flanking or more distant.

Re: 4 Pi Speakers and 3 Pi Subwoofer Request Plus Question [message #67016 is a reply to message #66990] Tue, 12 April 2011 08:03 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks for the information. I'll have to see what option makes the most sense.
Previous Topic: Three Pi & Four Pi Plans
Next Topic: 3-Pi Speaker plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:04:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout