Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Thinking of running my subs with a PA amp instead of the plate amp I have
Thinking of running my subs with a PA amp instead of the plate amp I have [message #66938] Thu, 07 April 2011 13:10 Go to next message
OneBean is currently offline  OneBean
Baron
I just came into a nice sized Crown PA amp that I'm considering powering my subs with . Currently they are run off of a plate amp. I can't help but think the Crown has more to offer in the way of quality power. Any ideas on a what crossover to pair up with the Crown to get level, phase, and freq. cutoff controls? Am I nuts for considering this? I run my 4 Pi's full range, and let them roll off naturally (3.5 watts of 2A3 power). The bass is powerful and full with the plate amp, just wondering what I'm missing.

OneBean
Re: Sub crossovers [message #66939 is a reply to message #66938] Thu, 07 April 2011 15:37 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Now there's a pair for you! Smile

Seriously, that will work just fine.

I used the Rekkhorn F1 sub crossover, and it worked pretty well. It allows variable adjustment of the (24dB/octave) low-pass frequency and amplitude. But honestly, I kind of like this modded Pyle crossover better. It has a gentle 12dB/octave slope, which works very nicely for multisubs which are supposed to be blended with the mains. It's definitely not as cool looking though.

One thing about settings/controls. If you're doing the multisub thing, remember that what you're trying to do is introduce dense interference by presenting multiple point sources. It makes more nodes, more reflections, more phase relationships in the room. I suppose having phase controls on the crossover wouldn't hurt, and may actually be helpful if you had a very limited set of placements to work with. But positions are really key here. I think it is better to move a sub's physical position a little bit than it is to modify its phase.

Previous Topic: My room is gone!
Next Topic: It's Here! T-2020 Chip Amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:56:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout