Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2pi studio Cab question
2pi studio Cab question [message #65708] Sun, 16 January 2011 10:07 Go to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
Can the cabs be rounded over without any loss? If so how much could/should I round over?

Is the hard cardboard used for the port slid into the 2" opening I am going to cut? If so what can be done to make it look nicer on the outside of the cab?
Is the port supposed to be suported in any way inside the cab?

Are the drivers supposed to be recessed?
Thanks for any and all info =) I got the cab put together and am going to start on the baffle soon. Very excited =)
Re: 2pi studio Cab answer [message #65711 is a reply to message #65708] Sun, 16 January 2011 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like to recess the drivers because I think they look better that way. But they don't have to be offset. The difference is not significant acoustically.

Same thing with roundover. You can do it but it does not make an acoustically significant difference.

I should mention that there is some debate on the effects of loudspeaker cabinet edge diffraction. Been a debate for decades. To tell the truth, I used to always round the corners but stopped after a few years. There's some more information at the link below. I used to think it was worthwhile to round the cabinet edges but have since changed my mind. But it certainly doesn't hurt to do it.
About the port, you can do it any way you want as long as the overall length from entrance to exit is right. That said, I've always liked cutting the hole to match the O.D. of the carboard tube and sliding it in the wood. This allows more surface area for the glue to hold the duct. Put veneer on afterwards so it covers the edge of the port. I usually pain the inside of the port black too.

Re: 2pi studio Cab question [message #65712 is a reply to message #65708] Sun, 16 January 2011 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks so much for all the info =)
Re: 2pi studio Cab question [message #65730 is a reply to message #65708] Mon, 17 January 2011 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Can the entire cab be assembled before you get the drivers or is it best to wait?
Re: 2pi studio Cab question [message #65731 is a reply to message #65730] Mon, 17 January 2011 09:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's easy to size with the drivers in hand, but the dimensions are accurate enough you can build without them.

Previous Topic: 7Pi plans please
Next Topic: 7Pi Plans Please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 08:40:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout