Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi (Sealed or ported)
4pi [message #64398] Wed, 20 October 2010 09:14 Go to next message
Kgveteran is currently offline  Kgveteran
Chancellor
Any advantage to sealing this speaker for HT work, or just leave a good design alone in any case.....just wondering.

FYI I was thinking of a 80hz or 60hz bass management XO.
Re: 4pi [message #64400 is a reply to message #64398] Wed, 20 October 2010 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Vented, definitely. It uses an overdamped alignment that gives you a nice gradual rolloff, smooth and easy to match with subs. You get a little more extension too, making more blending region for better smoothing using the multisub approach.

One thing you might do though, if you're running a center channel, is to make the center speaker sealed. This will provide some different alignments in the modal range, which also helps smoothing. It also looks better, because you can center the horn on the center channel, making the left and right mirror images of one another. See an example of this at the link below:
Re: 4pi [message #64401 is a reply to message #64398] Wed, 20 October 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kgveteran is currently offline  Kgveteran
Chancellor

My LCR will be behind my screen, it's AT. Would you still recommend sealing off the center....

I'm wondering if I should be placing my left and right on either side of the screen to take advantage of the toe in we spoke of.....I'm going to keep all this in mind and really try all my options. It's all about the sound as my room is dedicated and looks are a far second to the sound.....
Re: 4pi [message #64402 is a reply to message #64401] Wed, 20 October 2010 12:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How wide is the screen? How wide and deep is the room?

Previous Topic: 4pi
Next Topic: Sound Familiar?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 07:44:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout