Home » Audio » General » Recording
Recording [message #64286] Tue, 12 October 2010 08:33 Go to next message
RockingAngel is currently offline  RockingAngel
Chancellor
What is the best recording software and equipment to use on a computer? I am considering making a demo and would love to be able to make it from home. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Re: Recording [message #64301 is a reply to message #64286] Tue, 12 October 2010 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I use audacity and the built in sound card's line input. I can get 32-bit floating point 192000Khz files out of it and when it renders and dithers down to 44.1Khz Stereo 16-bit samples it sounds exactly the same, so it is quite capable. The amount of bandwidth and deep noise floor makes this a dream come true. Never agin do we have to suffer through terrible demos like the ones that floated around in the 80's.

I use two first act mics, one instrument and one is a vocal mic. The recording level is funny. If it is higher than about 10% gain, it clips, but if it is much lower than that it starts truncating bits. So look at for that, it is easy to spot, when the loudness is peaked out but still at some such number as -9db, it should be peaking at about 0db or you are losing bit depth. I had this trouble when I was using MP3gain, I realized bringing about the amplitude 7db lower than the limit was squashing the dynamics, but again, too loud and it clips.

Recording is tough, if you want to record at home, you gotta do stuff like physically silencing the waveforms in an editor when there is no signal because that noise floor adds up and little bumps on the mic having to be removed, or your fingers moving around on the guitar when it should be quiet. Noise gates really suck on computers and are not ideal for vocals or guitars.

Re: Recording [message #64397 is a reply to message #64286] Wed, 20 October 2010 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When I used to record, I used ProTools to record (and mix sometimes) and I loved it. It is a bit expensive though. I think the m-box ran $400-500 at the time.
Re: Recording [message #64423 is a reply to message #64286] Thu, 21 October 2010 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
I don't know what the best kind is, but I have always just used the one that came with my computer. It depends on what you need it for. For me, it's just YouTube videos so it's not that big of a deal.
Re: Recording [message #64456 is a reply to message #64397] Sat, 23 October 2010 08:48 Go to previous message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
I have friends who have rented a small studio for an hour to make a demo record. They did end up making enough from the CD sales to cover that cost so everyone was happy. If you are making a serious bid for stardom I think that's a better investment than the software.
Previous Topic: World's Most Powerful Loudspeaker
Next Topic: Sound sickness?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 15:45:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout