Home » Audio » General » Best books about Audio
Best books about Audio [message #63504] Sat, 24 July 2010 21:16 Go to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Got any suggestions? This is not meant as blatant advertisement, but as far as I am concerned, the most important book I have ever read is "High Performance Audio Amplifiers (for music performance and reproduction)" by Ben Duncan.

This book is THE book to read for audiophilia. Just reading the first couple chapters about musical descriptions (you know, words like Tizzy, Gutless, and Boxy) is going to weed out every problem you've ever had with your setup if you have the flexibility and tonal options to correct them.

I've read a lot of books of recording and mixing, but this one actually tells you what to listen for and how to correct it or improve it, which in my opinion is what being a good Audio Engineer is all about.

Look around for it. Let me know if it is out of print or unavailable because I am willing to share it if so.

Re: Best books about Audio [message #63528 is a reply to message #63504] Mon, 26 July 2010 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A few good books to have are "Introduction to Electroacoustics and Audio Amplifier Design," by Marshall Leach, "Acoustics" by Leo Beranek and "Elements of Acoustical Engineering" by Harry Olson. Also check out George Augspurger's (downloadable) "Sound System Design Reference Manual."

Re: Best books about Audio [message #63535 is a reply to message #63504] Mon, 26 July 2010 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks so much for that list. I know a good deal about acoustics, but almost all of it is applied, such as toeing speakers in, the dimensions and placement of speakers and all that kind of stuff.

I'll see if I can take a look at some of those. Are they really thorough? I've noticed a lot of books gloss over the broadest aspects and ignore the finer points or the actual science behind them. I feel like I could have written a better book than the Recording Engineers Manual or the Mixing Engineers Manual.

Another book that I forgot about is the Audio Engineers Reference Manual by Michael Talbot-Smith. As the name implies, it is probably not a book that even the Journeyman engineer will know all of it's subjects. It is meant to be kept handy to be referenced. Some of it is common knowledge, such as how a CD player works, but there is a ton of physics, math and even some physiology included to round out the bigger picture. I think this book approaches things in a manner that the linear thinker would enjoy. It teaches you how your ears work and how sound waves work and builds from there. A good deal of audio related works gloss over these items and at least, I feel that knowing the science is essential.

Re: Best books about Audio [message #63540 is a reply to message #63535] Mon, 26 July 2010 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The JBL manual is pretty basic, but relatively complete as a setup guide. The others are more academic, and much more thorough. They're acoustics textbooks.

Re: Best books about Audio [message #63599 is a reply to message #63540] Sun, 01 August 2010 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Depends what you're looking for. As far as for building tube amps I like Valve Amplifiers and Building Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones. The Radiotron Designers Handbook is also excellent. And Pete Millett has a TON of books he's scanned and made available online.
Re: Best books about Audio [message #63974 is a reply to message #63504] Wed, 01 September 2010 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PR Audio is currently offline  PR Audio
Chancellor
I do not agree 100% with Floyd Toole on everything, but "Sound Reproduction" is an excellent read and contains a lot of valuable information. I bought my copy from an eBay bookstore in England. Cool

Come visit!
www.praudio.com/site/
Re: Best books about Audio [message #64199 is a reply to message #63504] Tue, 05 October 2010 19:20 Go to previous message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
I don't know of any books right off the top of my head, but I do really think there are some wonderful How-To videos on YouTube. I mean, I've learned so much just from YouTube and people walking me through it. I think it's easier than reading a book Smile
Previous Topic: Who's listening to ART Radio?
Next Topic: Love me love my audio fetish!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 06:11:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio